Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There is a difference between injector types between the 90-91 AT & MT non turbo models. I don't know if there is a size difference, but the type matches the ECU type, Hitachi or JECS.

The 92-94 non-turbo models have a completely different type (red top) and I've heard rumors they flow a little more than the 90-91 non-turbo models. The 92's are rated at 270 cc/min.

The 91-94 turbos are pink and rated at 370 cc/min.

Yeah - this is a '91 that I'm working on. AT. I went looking for injectors and realized the difference.

I don't know what it is about the 90/91's but they seem more sporty than the 92-94. Different ECU I guess. This '91 is a rocket compared to the '92 wagon we sold a few months ago. Both AT's, and both with excelent maintenance history - the '91 really moves where the '92 was rather slower.

GD

Yeah - that might account for those two. I also recently had the experience of working on a '90 MT sedan with 4.11, and also just did a tranny swap into a '96 sedan where I installed a '93 tranny and rear diff making it also a 4.11 car. Both EJ22's though the '96 had single port heads.

The '90 was much sportier feeling where the '96 was pretty much a slug. Both ran very well and in fact the '90 had 255k on it (mobile 1 synth most of it's life), and the '96 only had 113k on it.

I suppose the '96 must be slightly heavier - they apparently are a couple inches longer.

GD

Went looking for injectors and I see that MT's have black top injectors and AT's have white tops.

Anyone know the flow rate difference?

GD

Hmm I wonder if that's why my 90 Legacy has sporadic check engine lights and other anomalies. I think someone stuffed a AT engine into it (it's a 5 speed), it used to have the AT style idle control valve, but I finally swapped it out to the proper MT valve... I'm tempted to find a MT intake manifold and just swap everything and see if it runs better...

The AT / MT thing doesn't really make that big a deal as long as the ECU matches MAF sensor, IAC sensor, and injectors. The other differences aren't that big a deal.

The above is only applicable on the 90-91 non turbo models. 92-94 they all had JECS based electronics.

"The AT / MT thing doesn't really make that big a deal as long as the ECU matches MAF sensor, IAC sensor, and injectors. The other differences aren't that big a deal.

The above is only applicable on the 90-91 non turbo models."

What I've seen for 1990 L is black, MT. blue, AT, pink, MPFI, and I don't know about the green.

I'm going to read the reast of the thread now:)

Doug

"Where have you seen blue/green injectors on a '90?"

Hey GD,

I was looking at them in parts catalogs. My 1.2 injectors are top feed and it looks like a direct swap with some other Subaru injectors. I'm just not sure exactly what fits what, at this point.

Edit:STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # FJ386 MoreInfo.gif {Intermotor}

New; w/ A.T.FJ386_FULL.jpg

$101.79$0.00$101.79AddToCart.gif

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # FJ446 MoreInfo.gif {Intermotor}

New; w/ M.T.FJ446_FULL.jpg

$101.79$0.00$101.79AddToCart.gif

AIRTEX Part # 4G1536 MoreInfo.gif

w/Auto. Trans., MPI; 16611-AA0904G1536.jpg

$110.79$0.00$110.79AddToCart.gif

AIRTEX Part # 4G1535 MoreInfo.gif

w/Man. Trans., MPI; 16611-AA120* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days4G1535.jpg

$105.89

Now that I see these, those "blue" ones, with the white tops, may be the ones you're talking about. These are all new, I looked again and the re-mans are the green ones.

Edit: And the pink.PYTHON Part # 638161 MoreInfo.gif {#16611AA090}

AT; MPI638-161.jpg

Edited by Quidam

Huh - I was only refering to the color of the top - where the harness plug is. I didn't think the color of the filter screen mattered since you can't see that when they are installed..... all the OEM injectors I've pulled had the same black filter screen (white, black, and pink tops) so I think that's just the aftermarket people that do that.

GD

"Huh - I was only refering to the color of the top - where the harness plug is. I didn't think the color of the filter screen mattered since you can't see that when they are installed....."

Ah, I didn't know that. I haven't worked on any of these cars yet.

• 11 months later...

sorry to bump an old thread but this seemed like a good place to ask about first gen legacy injector differences.

I have a 1990 legacy AT. I need to source some injectors for it, but have been told that 90 injectors commonly fail and are specific to that model year only, hence making them rare on the used market.

I wanna know what other injectors will work with my car, including the AT vs MT thing. i went and looked up some injectors on rockauto and noticed the AT injectors were almost double the MT ones...

If other injectors will work i will likely source a good used set, hopefully from mountain tech.

sorry to bump an old thread but this seemed like a good place to ask about first gen legacy injector differences.

I have a 1990 legacy AT. I need to source some injectors for it, but have been told that 90 injectors commonly fail and are specific to that model year only, hence making them rare on the used market.

I wanna know what other injectors will work with my car, including the AT vs MT thing. i went and looked up some injectors on rockauto and noticed the AT injectors were almost double the MT ones...

If other injectors will work i will likely source a good used set, hopefully from mountain tech.

I updated my thread yesterday and was just a few threads down and answers your question exactly as this is what I just went through ;)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117696

Hope it helps!

Edited by eulogious