Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best stuff to re-attach moldings ???

Ok, I have about 5 pieces of the side molding that I need to put back on the body of my 86 Wagon. These are the outside moldings that go along the side of the body. What is the absolute best thing to use to put them back on? Some kind of goop, glue or double sided tape? I dont want to put them on and then have them fall off a week later. Anyone have experience with this situation? Any help would be great! Thanks!:grin:

-Chad-

There is a autobody supply store downtown Olympia. I think it's called Wesco. Anyway,they have some really good stuff down there. I believe its the 3M product. I used it for trim pieces on a boat years ago. It's still holding.

The employee's are knowledgeable,too.

I just used a self mixing epoxy, applied it to the back of the molding and/or clip if you still have one, works great - still holding and i hit some hard bumps and jarring alot. Just make sure you don't put to much as it will ooz out onto the body, but if you wipe it off quick there will be no damage.

-Tom :)

OR! Just do it Red Green style and use Duct tape :-p

I use the 3M double sided tape.

My simple prep.

Clean with soap and water - both pieces

Wipe down both surfaces with IPA (Isapropal(sp?) alchohol - also known as dry gas).

Install tape

mate pieces

Press.

The warmer all 3 components are the better