Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback been having problems starting in the morning

So I've had this car for less than a month. Seems like starting in the mornings have been getting worse and worse, kinda scared in a couple days it just not gonna start at all. After I drive a little bit, seems like all is ok. Also lights/radio work in the morning just fine. Took it Autozone to do the free check, and the battery, alternator, and starter checked out fine. I got a multimeter, and going to check the voltage on the battery tomorrow, just to see if there a short somewhere that's draining the battery overnight, but that seems unlikely.

Anyone else experienced/resolved something like this? Could this be the ignition coil? Spark plugs? Starter bad despite testing ok and starting just fine after the car ran for a while?

Thanks! Will definitely try that. Maybe one at a time. They are not terribly expensive, $30-45 at Autozone, so maybe I'll try one of them or the other, and return if it doesn't fix it. Gonna try cleaning the connectors first though. Hopefully that will do the trick just by itself.

It's a 98, with close to 200000 miles. Spark plug wires were replaced recently. I was thinking of replacing the plugs, but haven't got to it yet, just because it's not that easy, and I don't have a garage. But I didn't notice any particular problems driving, especially for a car with this mileage. Just tested the battery with a multimeter, It really seems to be just a starting issue. Checked the battery also, and it is fine, 12.5V just before it was cranking for about 20 seconds before starting.

It's a 98, with close to 200000 miles. Spark plug wires were replaced recently. I was thinking of replacing the plugs, but haven't got to it yet, just because it's not that easy, and I don't have a garage. But I didn't notice any particular problems driving, especially for a car with this mileage. Just tested the battery with a multimeter, It really seems to be just a starting issue. Checked the battery also, and it is fine, 12.5V just before it was cranking for about 20 seconds before starting.

Does it turn over and not start? Or does it have trouble turning over? I've seen behavior like this caused by bad/worn out plugs.

You were kinda vague on whether the starter was cranking and the engine just wasn't catching or vice versa, no crank. If it is cranking, it is possible that moisture in the ignition could be a culprit.

Definately plugs that are fubared would figure in to this issue also.

You were kinda vague on whether the starter was cranking and the engine just wasn't catching or vice versa, no crank. If it is cranking, it is possible that moisture in the ignition could be a culprit.

X2. A better description of the problem will help with diagnosis.

Fair enough, but a bit hard to describe. I'm not sure if it was turning, if the engine was catching up. I turned the key, and instead of cranking and starting, it just continued to make that screeching noise that usually last only a second or so without it actually starting up. If I were to guess, I'd say the engine wasn't catching up and it was just feeding the starter from the battery. Still, I found it surprising that once started, the engine seemed to function normally. And it is starting just fine if the engine is hot, and with a bit of hesitation an hour or two after driving.

If you can find them use Denso. Those are the Original equipment plugs from what I understand, the ones you'd get from a Subaru dealer if you went there.

If not the next closest thing would be NGK. If this were a european car Id say use Bosch. Best to keep countries of origin the same for cars and parts. It really does help. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread, finally replaced the spark plugs today. Seems like the car is starting smoother, but today was a warm day. The plugs look like they are the originals that came with the car. Can't believe the thing actually drove with these!

Here's a pic, the new NGK Platinum is the middle.

post-31987-136027637539_thumb.jpg