Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird Humming noise?

pwjm

1987 GL hatch, 4wd EA81

The symptom:

over 50kph when going straight or during right turns it sounds like my tires are 33" boggers humming down the highway. SLIGHT vibration like an unbalanced tire, but its good to 120 kph so that's not it.

If I get on the brakes, or start turning left at all it goes away.

I've only got three guesses and enough money to get one fixed. lol

Axle

Alignment

Wheel bearing

I think it might be the alignment because the outside edge of my Front Pass tire is balding but I just thought it was because of he positive camber till now. Also when turning all the way to the left the steering tends to lock itself there like it wants to keep turning left. Not so when turning right. The car also pulls slightly to the left while driving, thought not incredibly bad.

anyone have experience with this kind of problem?

Close but not a humm, I'l bet an inner tie rod. How do your steering rack booties look. The PO on my car installed one that he/she didn't tighten enough and it warped the retainer ring off of it and destroyed the threads where it attaches, effectively killing the rack. The bootie was fine though. The downward pressure of the car was enough to keep it straight until you got up to speed, then it would start to wobble. If you can un attach the outer tie rod from the knuckle, you can give it a good shake and it shouldn't have any play. Same rig for me, the knuckles weren't tightened to the strut so it would just flop around and the axle castle nut was just hand tight. If you can get under the car and give it a full shake down, you'll find it. Don't forget the back. Be careful.

wiggle the wheels - bearings

control arms and strut rods or leading rods - bushings

tie rods outer and inner - rack

struts, knuckle- prolly not

Has to be one or more, right?

• 3 weeks later...

K, thanks Yo'J. Looks like there is indeed some play in the steering rack on the passenger side.

Anyone know if it's safe to drive like this for a little while? The noise isn't insanely loud or violent sounding and the car still tracks straight. It's Xmas and I need to go see my family on thursday.

Can I tighten something up and fix it in car or am I going to need a new steering rack like Yo'j said. Old suby parts like this are a pain to find here, do other models share the same rack as my GL hatch?

Edited by pwjm

humming noise - i would seriously check into the wheel bearings - they could last a long time yet, they could fail tomorrow...

the steering issue may or may not be related, i would lean toward not related to bearings, just coincidental...

jack up the front end - support it properly - and start checking things over carefully.

Classic wheel bearing. You won't feel any play in it so don't bother checking. If you could feel any play you would have already $hit yourself and called a tow-truck - by that point it sounds like a train is rolling through the cabin.

Sounds like you have alignment issues and possilby strut tops, etc are going. But the humming is most likely a wheel bearing.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder