Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grrr fuel pump

alright so i bought my subaru about 1 yr ago. the owner previous to me had rigged somthing up wierd. my fuel pump works great. but it doesnt shut itself off when the key is on(not running). i have an 4wd 5spd 87 gl wagon carbd. i was trying to locate the relay for it or somthin jsut anything even. well i traced the original wire( i hope its green with red stripe) under the dash to a lime green female connector. its not plugged into anything. jsut kickn. is there somthing missing?? am i trippn balls??? what should i be lookn for. another question. what are the plugins and two relays for under the vacum chamber on the passenger side between the strut and firewall?? help is greatly appreciated :D thanxs. hah and i had no idea this damn had so many wires for being carbd and having no power options.

the green connector is for one of the round relays just like the head lights, rear defrost and blower motor use. Take the one of the the rear defrost and stick it in the green connector. It sounds like yours is a feedback carb. is there a ECM bolted to the underside of the steering column?

I drive a 86 carb'd wagon (federal not california) cali model is a feedback model. I dont have any relays behind my strut towers

lime green female connector, two relays for under the vacum chamber on the passenger side between the strut and firewall??

Is the lime green connector just a single terminal? The relays are for AC (with 15a fuse) & electric cooling fan.

Edited by quartus

if the fuel pump is cycling with the engine off/key in On position...

first thing to check - pop the hood, look near drivers side strut tower for the green connectors - I am betting they are plugged together - unplug them and the pump will stop!! (these connectors are not supposed to be plugged together for normal driving conditions - neither are the black ones that are in the same location!)

fwiw - if you need to drain the fuel tank, plug the green connectors together, pull the out feed line from the pump, and place another hose on there that is long enough to reach into a can - turn key on & it will pump away! (just make sure you keep an eye on things!)

This thread has gone haywire.

First off, this is a carbed car, 4wd, so no Feedback or ECM or test connectors.

The Fuel pump in your car is (or was) operated by a device reffered to as a "rev sensor" or FPCU(fuel pump control unit)

It is bolted into the footwell, just above the hood release cable(uses the same bolts) It has a 6 pole wire connector.

There is a Ign. Switched power wire(can't reacll color),a Ground(black)

The Blue/red stripe wire is the "out" to the Fuel pump.

The yellow wire is the Tach signal.

There is also a wire that sends power to the electric choke when the Fuel pump is running.

The Unit will not send power through to the pump unless it is seeing a pulse from the tach("senses" revolutions)

Look around for the connector for that unit, and I'll bet you will find someone has jumpered across fromt eh swithched power straight to the fuel pump.

The bad part about that is that if there is a crash, the pump will continue to run, even with the engine off.....possibly creating a fire hazard.

IIRC, the FPCU ussually has a 3 diamond logo (like Mitsubishi) on it. And the connector for it is black.

ur talkn about that lil black box with the mitsubishi lookn sign on it right?? its like 3inches long by two inches wide by 1 inch tall? and its got a metal strip that bolts it down??

yes he is.

Sounds like it may have stopped working and someone hard wired it, bad idea. These things are cheap at a junk yard, mostly because nobody knows what it is!!

Have you checked the test connectors to see if they were connected?

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

There aren't any test connectors on a non-feedback carbed model, so there aren't any codes either.

Check the FPCU as indicated by GLoyale - you may find your trouble right there. There may not even be a problem with it - sometimes people disconnect them or bypass them when they are trying to troubleshoot a no-start condition. They think that the fuel pump isn't running when it fact it only runs when you are cranking or the engine is running. This is not intuitive to most people and so they check for voltage to the pump with the key in the "on" posistion and immediately diagnose the problem as a fuel pump wireing issue and reroute power to it from the battery. More than one hack mechanic has done this I assure you.

GD

That's probably one of the ECU test connector plugs - you vehicle doesn't have an ECU so that plug does nothing. It's just in the harness because a lot of the wireing for the car is generic and fits many models.

I don't know where you are getting that the fuel pump wireing is connected to that plug - how are you determining that? That single-wire green plug is very likely just a ground wire. The ECU test connectors are comprised of two single-wire green plugs, one goes to the ECU test mode pin and the other goes to chassis ground. Your green wire at the fuel pump is likely also a ground so if you are running a continuity test then of course both are connected to the same ground (the body) and you will see they are connected. But that tells you nothing about the fuel pump wireing other than it probably has a good ground connection.

GD

That could also be the EGR reset connector.

Is it close to a set of single pole blue connectors hooked toghether? If so, the green one is the EGR reset. When the stupid EGR light comes on to tell you to "service" the EGR (yeah, right) just disconnect the blue ones nad plug the green one into the one that it fits. Reset

Fuel Pump will have nothing to do with that wire.

oh i effed it up now. ha there is the egr one which i found has the same color wire as the one i traced to the fuel pump wire. which is ( sorry guys) not a single green one but a single blue one. sorry sorry. its hangn rounghly below the relay. i believe this is that wire because its connected to the positive side of the pump.