Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Our '98 OBW is starting to suffer from a fairly badly frayed seatbelt on the driver's side. I seem to remember some thread on here about Subaru's warranty policy on seat belts but I can't find it in a search.

Is there any sort of lifetime warranty on these, or a specific TSB for this vehicle? I want to be informed before I contact my dealer....

TIA,

Nathan

I remember that thread too i think it was fairly recent, did you search for it? I thought it was something about 10 years..or i'm confusing that with the SRS system which is *supposed* to be checked every 10 years by Subaru.

As a last resort someone on here would probably sell you used ones that weren't frayed for next to nothing.

As a last resort someone on here would probably sell you used ones that weren't frayed for next to nothing.

Unpopular item to sell. Don't even know how much of the assy to remove.

I have a 97 IBW Grey interior that I beileve they are o.k. in if noone slcoser speaks up. The belt itself I can't imagine is worth much. The labor to remove, packaging and stuff may be.

Here is one thread from 2007.

The suggestion is that Subarus newer than 1995 have a lifetime warranty on seat-belts.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71939&highlight=seat+belt+warranty

I wonder if that '95 date is a rolling date--- i.e. they cover seatbelts for <15 years from date of manufacture or some such thing, or are all post '95 vehicles covered ad infinitum?

Anyway, I'll try my luck at the dealer. If they don't give me satisfaction I can try SOA, and failing that I'll start fishing for secondhand belts. I'll report back here with what happens to add to the knowledge base.

I have to say that I've NEVER had a frayed seatbelt in any of my Hondas or BMWs of similar or older age and mileage, so I do feel these belts are a bit sub par. (Don't get me wrong, it's an older vehicle, so I'm not all up in arms about it or anything- things do wear out and break- I'm just making a comparision. )

Nathan

We have a 98 OBW also has frayed, I just figured my Mother -In-Law was to blame since it's her car. Never had our others with similar mileage fray. They are a 95, 97 and 2001, all in good shape.

Makes me wonder if there was a bad batch in 98?

Most mechanics will not replace with a used belt for insurance reasons (theirs for being sued if it failed) so a new seat belt unit installed is what they want to do (no doubt, would be expensive).

I have to say that I've NEVER had a frayed seatbelt i
there's a high percentage of subaru's with the original belts that are 30 years old and in great shape. i've noticed some odd fraying on rare ocassions and have always thought "man what did the previous owner due to make it do that"? can't recall ever seeing any 80's stuff with frayed belts but i'm sure it's happened.

• 1 year later...

how badly are they going to inspect the car first? my seatbelt is terribly frayed but i hit a deer and had to replace the hood and fender. it was just a deer and not a bad enough accident to really do anything to the seat belt, indeed i barely even hit the brakes. but i could understand them not wanting to replace it.