Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
corvette6698512

jumping into 4wd

My '83 GL just randomly pops itself into 4wd while driving. Its not like its rarely either. Once its in 4wd, its hard to put back into 2wd also. Is this a common thing on the older GL's? Its a 4 speed. I'm planning on doing a 5 speed swap, but like everyone else, no money to cover the cost of that quite yet. I probably wont have the money for a while, so I want to get this figured out. Thanks!

I've never heard or seen that happening, and me and my brother have both owned a few ea81s (mainly ea82s though :D)

My advice would be to swap out the 5spd ASAP. (Pretty useless I know :) )

My guess would be bad motor and tranny mounts. Those would let things flop around enough to pop it into to 4WD.

Just my .02

My guess would be bad motor and tranny mounts. Those would let things flop around enough to pop it into to 4WD.

Just my .02

Second that.

And also the lever might be adjusted too tight.

So i was messing with the 4wd and it got stuck in 4 low. The shifter pushed down but didnt put it in 2wd, so i climbed under the car and pulled the rod into 2wd. Turns out the nut for the shift linkage came off. So now everything fells way better, no more slop and it hasn't popped into 4wd. The 4wd light stays on though(even if its in 2wd). Where is the switch for the 4wd light located?

Don't you love it when the easiest solution is the best? Glad you got it working! Now just don't go running it into stuff and you should be all good! :lol:

do you have a actual 4WD shifter or is it one of those vacuum operated push buttons on the shifter? if its a push button, check the switch and the vacuum solenoids. having a similar issue but its really intermittent.

1: He already solved the problem.

2. EA81's and older (that's all models through '84) are all rod-shifted. They did not make a push-button except for the automatic's.

GD