Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Growing the subaru family

Hello to all subie enthusiests,

Im somewhat new to this site, but not new to subarus exactly. I grew up in a family that had two 80s wagons and when it was my time to move out i bought an 97 OBS and ive been subaru crazy ever since. About a month after i got the obs i went to WCSS 10 and had my first rallyx experience. By my second event (Under the wires rallyx 2008) i placed and been driving hard ever since. Rallycross has been fun and all, but ive always wanted a brat to have fun with off road.

OBS's are pretty capable and ive had some fun in the cascades and outside Eburg but after going to the Hatch Patrol Xmass tree run this year i knew it was time to start looking for a brat so i could keep up with the other lifted subies. And now i have one, 1986 gl RUST FREE brat. Best $150.00 i have ever spent in my life!

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

When i bought it i was told the alternator was shot, exhaust needed work, and clutch is getting worn. Right now i got it plugged in to see if it will start up. Already got a GM 100a alternator to swap in, plan to make my own exhaust, and ill get a clutch eventually. Hopefully i will have the brat in good running order by spring and maybe even run it in this seasons rallyx's before i get into the good mods.

Future plans are to buy some yota rims and get bigger tires, build custom bumpers front and back, and go for a six inch lift and make an off road machine!

Ive seen a few brats over in ellensburg so i know im not alone over there, and if there is anyone else around that ever wants to help out or needs help with anything let me know

Im looking forward to get into the older EA subaurs and trying to keep up on the trails instead of the newer imprezas and trying to keep up on cruises with my very not clean and not fast obs :rolleyes:

-Andy

@ Indrid - Nope not from the tri cities, found this one down in battle ground

@ Breeke - yea i remember that beast of a subie, i was the impreza that almost got us all stuck on that last run off the day. ive seen some of his stuff on this forum and definitely will talk to him when the time comes around

@ Rainman - Thanks!

@ Bratsrus - So a five speed is really worth it eh? Well when that time and the cash comes around ill get a hold of you, thanks for letting me know

Right now the brat is sitting at home in the garage while im over in north idaho for a week or so. When i get back ill have to get crackin and get her running and fix up a few cosmetic things.

One thing i noticed is in the bed there are three side panels on each side that you can take off and theres some space in there. i might have to fab up some kind of shelve/box thing to fit in there to hold tools and straps and stuff. looks like good storage space thats out of the way and hidden.

Thanks again everyone

-Andy

Welcome to this Board Andy. I've seen you over on dirtyImpreza for a while. Maybe we'll meet up at the Hillsboro rallycross; or up north if anyone ever gets something going in Washington.

Five speed is well worth it. If you're just going to putter around in the woods and rock crawling, no; but if you plan on longer, highway trips having the 5 speed installed is worth every penny and minute of time you spend on it. Jerry is the man; he installed my 5 speed more than 7 years ago and it's still running great.

Nice score on the $150 Brat; that is a steal and a half.

Welcome to this Board Andy. I've seen you over on dirtyImpreza for a while. Maybe we'll meet up at the Hillsboro rallycross; or up north if anyone ever gets something going in Washington.

What Ed said. And sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at the XMas tree run.

5 speed is worth it if your 4 speed is bad. You'll be pulling it to do a clutch, might as well put a 5 speed in its place. You can get a much strunger clutch kit for a 5 speed, you'll want it if you put big rump roast tires on it.

I will definitely be seeing you again Ed down in hillsboro this season, ill either be driving the brat or ill by duel driving a rabbit with Brandon. And sorry i missed you Zap at the tree run, i was the kid with the obs and little white puppy. I tend to sit back and listen at meets more than talk :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick info on 5 speed swap, sounds like it might be in my future. Its still too soon to determine how the stock tranny is at the moment. I just got home from a week in north idaho (i think i saw a HUGE brat with solid axles just north of Coeur d'Alene on my way through).

Tomorrow i will be shoveling snow and start working to get her started up. any tricks to these ea81s when it comes to getting it started after maybe years of sitting? I plan to drain what little fuel is left in the tank and put in some good fresh stuff, throw in some seafoam and change the oil. might even change the fuel filter while im at it.

Thanks guys,

-Andy

Got her started tonight!

Drained the old fuel and changed the fuel filter. After a couple trips to the gas station (need bigger gas can) got enough in her, brought my other subie over to give it some juice and she fired right up! Then died a minute later, definitely need a new alternator.

So now i got the old alt out and have a new GM 100a sitting in the engine bay till tomorrow. Hope this thing fits with the stock carb (i know from the write up that it will fit with weber carb but stock air filter might be in the way)

more details and pics to come :grin:

-Andy

So yes, she starts, but dies about 10-15 seconds later :-\

Im assuming its a fuel issue. Fuel pump works, checked that by pulling a line and turning it over to see if gas squirts out. My best guess is that its a problem with the carb specifically the float bowl. Ive thrown that b-12 cleaner at it and no success.

The weird thing though is that when i was hitting it with sea foam it kept the engine running and actually warmed up, and instead of dying after start up it would idle like nothing was wrong. So i took it for a spin and it died two blocks later. Jerked a few times and would just quit, and wouldnt start back up for a minute or two.

So i dont know what to think. right now i can go into the garage and turn the key and it will run for 15 seconds and die. I was going to get a weber anyway but i would rather get the stock one to work and wait till i actually have 350 to spend.

Other than that i have some pics of the alt installed and a few items i found in the glove box (after tearing apart the dash to get in there because it was locked)

http://picasaweb.google.com/fenix747/Brat?feat=directlink

-Andy

Thanks for the quick info on 5 speed swap, sounds like it might be in my future. Its still too soon to determine how the stock tranny is at the moment. I just got home from a week in north idaho (i think i saw a HUGE brat with solid axles just north of Coeur d'Alene on my way through).

Tomorrow i will be shoveling snow and start working to get her started up. any tricks to these ea81s when it comes to getting it started after maybe years of sitting? I plan to drain what little fuel is left in the tank and put in some good fresh stuff, throw in some seafoam and change the oil. might even change the fuel filter while im at it.

Thanks guys,

-Andy

Just give it a few pumps from the gas pedal and crank her till she starts or

you kill the battery.

BTW, it wasn't my BRAT that you saw, but I live out here by CDA.

If you're in town PM me and lets try to get a meet together :)

Twitch

I probably wont be out that way till summer, but if i ever am ill let ya know Twitch.

So i can almost say problem solved :banana:

I took the carb off and cleaned it up as much as i could without taking it apart, the float seemed to be moving just fine so i put it on and nothing changed. So i decided it was the fuel pump. Ordered a new one and put it on today, ran a lot longer than with the old fuel pump so i pull it out of the garage and it died :-\

Pulled a line and no fuel came out. Put the old one back on and it pumped like it used to.

SO it seems i got a faulty fuel pump, took it back and a new one will be in tomorrow. Then we shall see :grin:

If i ever get it running ill start a build thread instead of ranting on in my intro thread

-Andy