Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pic request, Flywheel locking tool

most folks just use a stout screw driver or socket extension in the access hole up top. just don't drop it in.

this didn't sound right to me so i used a chain wrench on the crank pulley using old accessory belt to protect it. this worked, but i hear it can stress the pulley, the rubber piece can fail and separate.

and this one i'm not too sure about,

someone who has lots of posts has posted that there is a hole part way down on the bell housing and a screwdriver there will work, I THINK, i may have mis-understood. this didn't sound right either, but i haven't even looked for a hole there yet.

the actual tool is y shaped or u shaped with 2 prongs for the holes in the crank pulley and a long handle. the y or u allows you to access the bolt in the center. basically a breaker bar with 2 prongs instead of a socket.

most folks just use a stout screw driver or socket extension in the access hole up top. just don't drop it in.

Yeah, I'd read about that on here, but I couldn't seem to find a good position that would really stop the hysteresis

this didn't sound right to me so i used a chain wrench on the crank pulley using old accessory belt to protect it. this worked, but i hear it can stress the pulley, the rubber piece can fail and separate.

I used a socket and my breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt for the other three, but I really need both hands at the flex plate for this one. I've tried various shenanigans to hold the breaker bar but nothing is really working out.

and this one i'm not too sure about,

someone who has lots of posts has posted that there is a hole part way down on the bell housing and a screwdriver there will work, I THINK, i may have mis-understood. this didn't sound right either, but i haven't even looked for a hole there yet.

that sounds nice, I'll look for it, thanks for the tip. Boy I'm sure glad I don't need to drive this car anytime soon!

Yes, there is an access hole on the passenger side of the engine just forward of the bell housing at the 9 o'clock position. The largest phillips screw driver that you can get into that hole will allow you to hold the flywheel and keep it from turning.

Next question, what are you trying to accomplish? Just removing the crank pulley bolt? There's an easier way to do that. Disable the ignition by removing the wire from the ignitor or coil (depends on what model you have). Take a breaker bar with a 22mm socket on the bolt and turn the engine clock wise until the breaker bar just rests on the driver's side wheel well. Just blip the starter once and the crank pulley bolt will be loose.

Yes, there is an access hole on the passenger side of the engine just forward of the bell housing at the 9 o'clock position. The largest phillips screw driver that you can get into that hole will allow you to hold the flywheel and keep it from turning.

Next question, what are you trying to accomplish? Just removing the crank pulley bolt? There's an easier way to do that. Disable the ignition by removing the wire from the ignitor or coil (depends on what model you have). Take a breaker bar with a 22mm socket on the bolt and turn the engine clock wise until the breaker bar just rests on the driver's side wheel well. Just blip the starter once and the crank pulley bolt will be loose.

Thanks, I'll look for the hole. Yeah that starter trick is a neat one, that's what I used when I did the T-belt in my outback last winter.

Actually I'm pulling the trans.

I just used a socket on a breaker bar and had a friend hold it. I guess if you have a large enough breaker bar it would work without having someone to hold it. When I was putting the torque converter bolts back on I managed to hold the braker bar and tighten the bolts myself.