Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goat Mt., Oregon New Years Day

chazmataz

New Years Day some wheeling friends of mine (and me) are going wheeling up on Goat Mt. just east of Colton, Oregon.

We'll be meeting up at Estacada Les Schwab at 9:30 am.

hope some of you make it, don't want to be the only soobie going. like i always do with this group. :lol:

Edited by chazmataz

New Years Day some wheeling friends of mine (and me) are going wheeling up on Goat Mt. just east of Colton, Oregon.

We'll be meeting up at Estacada Les Schwab at 9:30 am.

hope some of you make it, don't want to be the only soobie going. like i always do with this group. :lol:

Updated meeting info for anyone thats interested.

If I'm not hung the heck over too bad I'll be there. :banana:

Right now though I'm way into a 101 proof 5th od whiskey.

and enjoying it immensely

ok sounds good, i'm doing beer. got a growler of nut brown from highland pub(mcmeninmen) on the way home.

well try to make it, its not going to be to early. call me if your on your way and running a little behind. be nice to go wheelin with you again.

What kind of rigs are you going with?

Im short a soob for a while, but i have a 4wd Toyota-stock w/ 31's I might try to get some new treads after work today though

i'm hoping to be in my grey 86 wagon but tags are expired and i would have to go up to my parents on the way to get the new one, they came in the mail yesterday. otherwise my green 84 wagon DD will be my rtrail rig.

yes your toyota is fine, we'll have a mix of rigs anyway. i know atleast 1 maybe 2 jeep cherokees for sure but not sure on what else at this time.

ok sounds good, i'm doing beer. got a growler of nut brown from highland pub(mcmeninmen) on the way home.

well try to make it, its not going to be to early. call me if your on your way and running a little behind. be nice to go wheelin with you again.

Awesome.

I'll work for it.

Yeah 9:30 in Estacada is not too early. I'll give ya a call. If your going up Hillockburn I can catch up if peeps wanna get rolling and I'm still a few min out. :)

I'll even bring "Stanley" :lol:

(You'll see)

Awesome.

I'll work for it.

Yeah 9:30 in Estacada is not too early. I'll give ya a call. If your going up Hillockburn I can catch up if peeps wanna get rolling and I'm still a few min out. :)

I'll even bring "Stanley" :lol:

(You'll see)

Ok, Stanley huh? :lol:

i'm not sure if we're going hillockburn or colton yet. i have some other people i know and they are going up there also but don't know what time. they usually go up colton.

but if you want just give me a call if your on your way and i'll try to keep the masses at bay if not i can let you know which wat we're going. at this time it looks like i'm going to be the tour guide though.

Ok, Stanley huh? :lol:

i'm not sure if we're going hillockburn or colton yet. i have some other people i know and they are going up there also but don't know what time. they usually go up colton.

but if you want just give me a call if your on your way and i'll try to keep the masses at bay if not i can let you know which wat we're going. at this time it looks like i'm going to be the tour guide though.

I'll have to remember to pull over to call. Remember, in Oregon cellphones on ears in cars are illegal as of midnight.

I plan on making it on time though if I can.......

Well by some new years miracle I sprung awake at 7am.

Didn't get a morning group shot but I think if I remember right there were:

2 XJ's

2 Toy Pickups

2 EA81 GL Wagons

1 Outback

1 Wrangler (well they don't call them Wranglers anymore, now it's like a TJ or something)

So right off the bat after the first stoping point once we got up there we lost daredevil1166 and mthoodsub. They took off down the road I think to check things out while one of the XJs was having front locker tweaking done, we followed but we never ran across them again.

You guys alright?!

So two down.

Then the said XJ just plain busted the knuckel/balljoints/axle/ect. on the first real trail. Some tweaking and it was limpable down to a spot a trailer could get to and the other XJ went with him.

Two more down.

We continued on. The TJ and remaining Toyota forged on in front and went up a trail. Chaz and I walked up it to find them making good use of thier winches and skinny pedals. They wanted to keep exploring that trail so we went back to our Soobs and continued on down the road.

Two more down, just down to Chaz and I.

There was snow here and there. Lots of wind, mud, fun. We got to a really gooey gravel pit (more like a mud farm) and played there. Then went up a road that turned into a trail that was all gates and dead ends once we got off that.

So we backtracked and played at the gravel pit some more and then headed out.

Found a good spot to air back up with the sweet meat scent of a bloated rotting elk corpse to keep us company in the dark.

Then headed out.

Got a few pics but it was nasty out so not much getting out for pic taking.

Goat1-1-10_1.jpg

Goat1-1-10_2.jpg

Goat1-1-10_3.jpg

Goat1-1-10_M.jpg

Looks much dirtier in person. :grin:

Plus the rain and wind was washing it off almost as fast as I could apply it.

Edited by TeamCF

We went towards the Colton side of Goat (SW side) a ways.

And up another road headed east I think a ways.

I still need to download my GPS into the computer.

We ended up running into alot of closed off parts.

Dead ends everywhere. Still had fun though. :)

Nice! I had been up to goat eons ago, but never seen (or cared about) any good places to wheel. I'll have to hit that up on one of my oregon trips. :headbang:

Yeah these days though they are shutting most of it down.

I heard someone tried to light the radio towers on fire at the summit (great viewpoint) So now the lower gates are locked so you can't even get close to them. And I put out a fire in the trees up there one night I went up. (that was also the last time I was able to get up there)

And lots of signs are going up. We were really keeping an eye out for them so we didn't drive past any.

Goat was always more of a stay on the roads type of area with a few trails you could go on (I had read a FS officers blog saying Goat was never really illegal for off roading, but they never really encouraged it either, but that is gonna change).

Lucky thing is there are alot of roads that are half washed out and more trail like.

But soon it'll mostly all be off limits. And the only roads to get to will be the ones like in the first pic.

All the good exploring is disappearing around there. It's in it's last days.

But!

We are supposed to be getting some real, marked trails around here. Not as good as TSF they say, but it should still be fun once they build them.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot.

Meet Stanley.

stanley1.jpg

I think he disturbs drive thru window workers. hehe

But he keeps me company.......

This was his first wheeling trip.

Now he can't wait to go to Sand Lake in a couple weeks.

Edited by TeamCF

Yeah sorry about that losing you guys,

we went up the road to find where the spots Chaz said would be difficult for daredevil1166 but he had no problems.

We actually came down the trail, where the XJ was playing when we first stopped. I scraped up a door a little bit and daredevil's outback made it through cleanly.:)

We continued to drive around to look for you guys but no luck. We eventually got to the gate for the tower/lookout. I made it around in the Toy but the Outback was just a bit too long and he crunched his driver quarter panel a bit.

I went up to the tower real quick and could barely make out the lake below.

It was a pretty busy day out there, we ran into a group of 8 jeeps, later 2 exocaged 4runners, and later still an exocaged Sammi.

We only saw a group of 3 Toyotas the direction we went. They were playing in the same muddy gravel pit we were at.

Sounds like even though the group got split up we all had fun. Well except for the XJ that broke his front axle in two. Ah...... Dana 30's.

So my girlfriend lives out in colton, could someone give me some basic directions to get up there? I think i know where you guys were but just curious. I've been up the road off 211 on the right as you leave colton, that eventually winds up a big hill. same place ish?

That's proly one of the roads going up to the area we were at. I think I may know the one you are talking about. I forget the name of it though.

Leaving Colton headed for Estacada right?

Closer to Estacada you can also get up into the area via Hillockburn Rd. Just keep following it up.

The Colton side is alot of private timber company land. Some they don't mind you being on. Other places are marked with signs. Just gotta keep an eye out as there are full on roads that you are not supposed to drive on out there and they do not always have a gate. Only a sign that more often than not has been half shot away.

Chaz and I at the end had to backtrack all the way out as the way to the main road we would have had to cut through a "no tresspassing" area of the forest road (and it could have just had a locked gate at the main road end anyway).

And the several other roads we tried all dead ended.

And rumor has it that at all gates and signs around Goat there are those hidden wildlife cameras going up. They get your plate # and send you a nice piece of paper with the amount you owe in the mail now.

It's getting to be a tricky area to navigate even if you only intend to stay on the roads these days.

But if you pay attention for signs and such you can still spend a day up there cruising around and be alright. :)