Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking into buying an Impreza Need Advice

I am looking to buy a 2002-2005 Impreza RS for Daily Driver use, since my DD Firebird recently got totaled I figured some AWD in New York is in order. My price range is between $5,000-$6,000 I have noticed from browsing It seems that can only get me a higher mileage Impreza, (100,000 miles plus)

What are some things I need to look out for with an Impreza with that many miles?

Timing belt? Etc.?

How many miles are these cars good for? Is there certain years better than others? For instance I heard something about transmissions in the '02 year.

Any advice is much appreciated! :)

I might be a little slow with technical stuff because I have only driven and worked on Camaros and Firebirds, which are very simple.

trans in 02 is nothing i've ever heard of.

105,000 mile timing belt interval. interference engine so it's a very crucial component. many of us replace at least one if not all the pulleys as well since they're expected to make it to 200,000+ miles.

at 100,000 miles i'd also want:

fluids changed (trans, diff, coolant)

new Subaru thermostat, PCV, air filter, spark plugs and wires

The only thing expensive out of all of that is the timing belt - dealer charges $699 for the belt only around my parts.

otherwise not many issues except the EJ25 head gasket issue. Subaru has an extended 100,000 mile head gasket warranty on 2000-2002 models, looks like you're right around the tail end of that.

the 02 and early 03 wrx's have the "glass transmissions". i cant say for sure that the trans in the rs youre looking at is similar, but lots of the problems come from people abusing the the car and/or not knowing how to shift to keep the tranny happy. (shift slow and let the syncros do their job/dont dump the clutch)

the 02 and early 03 wrx's have the "glass transmissions". i cant say for sure that the trans in the rs youre looking at is similar, but lots of the problems come from people abusing the the car and/or not knowing how to shift to keep the tranny happy. (shift slow and let the syncros do their job/dont dump the clutch)

Absolutely, they like to eat second gear and have input shaft bearing issues. Thought everyone knew that!

Considering the fact of location, I would be very concerned with under carraige rust. Then, and only after rust has been looked into, would I be concerned with timing belts and regular scheduled maintainence. My suggestion would be to find a private party vehicle with around 130K. Chances are the service has been taken care of and then all you would need to be concerned with would be body condition.

Ok so no need to worry about transmissions with RS/TS only in the boosted conditions because of the type of people that drive them.

Looks Like I need to find one that has had the timing belt done already.

This looks like a deal what do you guys/gals think?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ctd/1532962673.html

Looks to be in decent shape. Get a vehicle inspection and a carfax prior to purchase.

Looks to be in decent shape. Get a vehicle inspection and a carfax prior to purchase.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!! I am going to check out some this week.

I never even gave rust a thought because I am use to dealing with cars that are 25+ years old, just figured a newer car wouldn't have the same rust issue, but your right in this area these cars see a lot of road salt. Thanks Qman!!

Any more advice people?

drive in tight circles on dry pavement to check for torque bind. it'll feel like a dull (or severe) braking action. search here for torque bind for more info.

Wow, I did the search, that is a very good bit of information, I had no idea about any of that. Thank you very much who knows how I would have reacted without knowing that prior to a test drive.

Doubly so on a subaru. There is SO much drivetrain loss in an automatic subaru

I wish I could, I have wanted a manual for LONG time. But my parents are lending me money for it, and I do not know how to drive a manual, I agree autos are boring. I also dont know anyone to show me how to drive one, how am I supposed to test drive one if I cant drive manual?

I wish I could, I have wanted a manual for LONG time. But my parents are lending me money for it, and I do not know how to drive a manual, I agree autos are boring. I also dont know anyone to show me how to drive one, how am I supposed to test drive one if I cant drive manual?

Good point. Buy what fits you.