Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulleys and seals question (missing anything?)

Hey, I have read through a bunch of posts, but trying to make sure I have the right info.

I got my timing belt changed, but didn't get any of the pulley's or tensioner replaced that many recommend doing at the same time.

I may have found a suby mechanic to do some side work on the car to take care of some oil leaks I am having. Because he will cost much less than a dealer or shop, I may have him go back and do some of the work that should have been done at the same time.

Can someone let me know the following as he's pricing out parts now for me:

1. What should be replaced at the same time as the timing belt? I know the water pump (that was done). But i read about the tensioner, some pulley's and seals. Which pulleys? (Idler pulley? Is there another one? The crankshaft pulley) Am I missing anything else? I read too that the "front seals" should be done while in there. What seals are those exactly? Front main seal? Are there others?

2. Was going to have him do the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, plug seals, plug wires, fuel filter, and potentially reseal the oil pan gasket (not sure yet on that one). Anything else that I should have him do while he's doing all this work that would be a good idea for preventative maintenance?

Might be easier/better to just get a bunch of work done in one day while everything is apart and wanted to do as much stuff that normally goes bad as I can, at one time if it's gonna be reasonably priced.

It's a 1999 Legacy Wagon 2.2

Your advice is greatly appreciated as always. thanks so much!!

Edited by yesyeah

Front seals that should at the very least be checked and replaced if wet or as PM with any timing ble change:

Crank pulley, oil pump oring, oil pump backing plate screws.

Cam seals

Timing pulleys - nice to replace them all since yours are 10 years old, but that's cost prevenatitive like $500 from Subaru. Ebay sells kits with everything or you can just replace the ones that need it.

Replace any that are noisy or spin too freely and the tensioner if the seal is wet.

Oil pan gaskets aren't typically replaced unless they are definitely leaking. There's no advantage cost wise to doing the oil pan "with anything" else you're mentioning, so I'd wait on that. It's expensive too since it requires a bit of effort actually.

thanks!

Okay so seals:

Crank pulley, oil pump oring, oil pump backing plate screws and cam seals (I think someone mentioned that the phase 2 2.2 doesn't have a rear cam seal to replace).

What about the front main seal?

How many "timing pulleys" are there? I think read a lot about those just being done when the tbelt is changed regardless if they look bad or not (I didn't do it when my tbelt was changed).

Idler pulley needed? (is that part of the "timing pulleys"?)

Thanks again!

I just did mine, 99 2.2. asides from the belt, I know everything else was still original.

I got kit from theimportexperts.com It had belt, three idler pulleys and tensioner for $190 (ebay kit) and had them add a new water pump. total cam to $250. I paid extra for rush shipping though. I ordered two cam seals, crankshaft seal, water pump gasket, new radiator hoses, oil pump o-ring, thermostat with gasket from genuinesubaruparts.com for about $45.

I searched all other timing belt posts and used these guys advice. Dover Subaru wanted $700 just for the timing belt excluding any other parts replacement work. and they charge $92 hour labor. I gave my wife my bill... :lol:

Thanks. Had the guy look at the car today. He's gonna do my valve cover gaskets, grommets, plugs, tubes, wires and replace my battery clips (corroded) for $75 labor (parts cost $100, all Subaru parts). I am happy with this!! Will look over the car more when we do the work and see what is next.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks. Had the guy look at the car today. He's gonna do my valve cover gaskets, grommets, plugs, tubes, wires and replace my battery clips (corroded) for $75 labor (parts cost $100, all Subaru parts). I am happy with this!! Will look over the car more when we do the work and see what is next.

Thanks for the heads up!

That's a great deal on the labour and parts.