Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about my '83 Brat

Do the EA81 radiators that are supposedly made for manual transmission applications have the auto transmission cooler fittings on the side? I've been looking for a radiator (yes, i have an automatic) and I can't seem to find one any cheaper than around $200 that's "made for an automatic". Any ideas? Any good sites to get good, but not so expensive radiators? I'd prefer to order it online so it'll be shipped to me, but I want to make sure I get the right one that'll work with my transmission. Man, it's been a pain trying to get a EA81 radiator...

Any problems I'm going to encounter buying a water pump? Last time I bought a water pump, it was for an early Ford 302... that was a headache :mad:

And last but not least... what happened to me on the freeway yesterday...

I was going fairly fast on the freeway, getting it up to 5.5k RPM's... and out of nowhere the oil gauge went down some, so I pulled over. Oil managed to get into the air filter housing, and oil leaked all over the top of the block and was bubbling/sizzling... I've never seen that before. Kinda looked like it was coming out of the block! The Brat has had a leaky radiator... so I'm also not sure if I ran it out of water or not, the temperature gauge didn't go up to H. I think a half gallon topped it off, maybe a little more. From what I've noticed so far, the temp gauge works. It had stayed at a tad over half. Once she cooled down a bit and I topped off the oil and water, drove off without a problem, got home safely. However, the oil gauge seems to be staying at a lower pressure than it used to. It'll still go to 75 PSI when cold, however. Doesn't smoke at all, don't think there's no oil in the water or vice versa, the oil looks horrible and I had just replaced it. The PCV valve is replaced along with vacuum lines. What gives? Did I toast my motor???

All after-market radiators have the tranny fluid cooling tube in the driver's side tank - you won't find one without it unless you go to the dealer and pay $300 for one.

Where I buy mine, they run about $120 for a new EA81 radiator. Shop around.

Get an Atsugi water pump - that's the OEM brand. Should run about $35 in the aftermarket. They are about a 15 minute job to replace. Thin coating of RTV in place of a gasket. Be careful removing the old pump bolts - they are small and long and can be easily broken if you force them.

As for the oil - you need to clean your PCV lines and plastic fittings and replace your PCV filter in the airbox.

GD

Okay, I ordered a new water pump and a radiator. I got a thermostat as well, but the auto parts store said there is no thermostat gasket made for it :confused: Is that true?

I can't tell which hose the oil came from... there's one hose that leads to a can.... What is that can? It's very dirty inside, has three clips that hold the top on... And I can't find the PCV filter, what and where exactly is that? I've never heard of one of those..

Get a thermostat gasket from the dealer - they are MUCH superior to the cheap cardboard one's and you should also get a thermostat from the dealer as well - much higher quality. Whoever told you they don't make them is clearly a moron. I've got them from Napa before right off the shelf along with the thermostat - they are nothing unusual. Besides that he should have at least directed you to the gasket paper so you could make your own..... kids these days! :rolleyes:

The PCV filter is in the upper right hand corner of the airbox - it's a peice of foam about 1" x 2.5" x 1/4" thick.

I have no idea what the cannister you are refering to is - maybe a picture would help.

GD