Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hyperextended brake caliper pistons, EA82

So.... I took the old pads off yesterday, and had it up on blocks waiting for the new ones that I got today... my friend had the bright idea to come and test all the brake lights and turn signals and such while I was gone. So, he pushed the brake pedal with no pads in there, and the pistons came way out -- they don't seem to want to screw back in now -- I turn them and they don't go in. Any bright ideas on how to get them back in?

Thanks

Z

When I did something like this I used a c clamp to compress the piston a little farther than I felt like I needed to get the threads to catch. With the brake resevoir lid off, clamp down on the piston until you see the brake fluid squirting back into the master cylinder. That might make it easier to get everything started. But be careful not to overflow the master cylinder or damage the pistion. And GO SLOW! If you have room you can use the old pad as a place to clamp against, as apposed to using your c clamp directly against the piston.

Hope it helps

Mike

Screw them back in. It might just "seem" like they're not going back in, they're rather fine threads and require quite a bit of turning.

I would pull the master cylinder cap off at least or open the bleeder screw, it will make it much simpler to seat it and get it started if it really is all the way off the spindle/threads.

If they actually went past the seals and fluid leaked into the rubber boots I'd just rebuild them. They're already apart, rebuild kits are cheap (just picked up a legacy set for $3 per piston). No point in reseating the piston to a 20+ year old seal and boot. Of course you can always just do this later only if you have problems too.