Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building the Exhaust, EJ22 -> EA71 Brat Swap

I already have my EJ22 engine and the car is long gone to the crusher. The only exhaust I have is from the front of the Cat. forward. (didn't get the Cat).

I realize that I will have to modify what I have for the cross memembers, etc.. Where do I go for the rest. The 2.2L has a much larger exhaust than the old 1.6L in the Brat. And it had no Cat..

My donor car, EA82 GL wagon, has a near complete exhaust. (someone has stolen the Cat..) but that exhaust size might still be to small. I think I remember reading someplace that I need 1.75" dia. pipe size. Which means I need the larger Cat as well.

I don't know how it works other places but the wrecking yards can't legally sell any part of the exhaust system. Especially the Catalitic converter. I,ve had trouble getting them to sell me a muffler. Also the first thing they do, here, is cut out the Cats. to deter theft (by the meth-heads).

What has been you-all's experience in this type of swap and exhaust system.

Steve

Take the car down to your local exhaust/muffler repair place and have them put a whole new system on it.

They'll be able to offer you solutions for cats, and mufflers to fit your performance, sound, and price range.

Then, they will be able to take those components and bend up a custom exhaust so you have something that fits perfectly.

Depending on components and such, should come in $300 or less.

This would be a good time to have them tuck the exhaust closer to the body if you are lifted, or offroading it.

Here is a touchy question. Since the '79 Brat didn't have a Cat (or I see no evidence of one). Should I bother with one. I live in an area that doesn't require a smog check.

Or is the Law going to hold me to the 92 standard for the EJ engine??

Not planning to go try and sneak anything buy, but don't want to add equipment that isn't required.

Steve

Here is what I had done to mine. I have a friend who has am exhaust shop and has no problems lookign the other way when it comes to cats. Since the photos were taken I have had him run the exhaust to the back..that was anoise/law issue. I guess exhaust is not aloowed to exit by a door.

Thats not a door officer, it's a rollover emergancy escape hatch :grin::lol:

Mine is lifted so goes up and over the trans. we used 2in pipe

Oh its an 85 GL/and EJ22 conversion

I bet if you made your way over here I could "hook you up"

Hey where did the "cats" go :grin:

P1040010.jpg

P1040013.jpg

P1040014.jpg

up and over

P1040011.jpg

Just dump right there...Keep it simple..right. :lol:

P1040016-1.jpg

Here's what I did on my '78 ej25 (same as ej22) cost was $400.00 at local muffler shop.2440016990101713470S500x500Q85.jpg

I had an ej trans also , you can see modified cross member. sorry lost the picture of the rest of the dual pipes . Mufflers were located in place of the gas tank ,tank in bed.

check out columbia river mandrel bending. search It in google. they'll take care of you with good prices and great quality. i used to be the lead fab/tig welder there. unless you don't want to build your exhaust yourself. i would go 1 7\8 - 2" on the header and 2 1\4 - 2 1\2" for the rest. Cody