Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo placement in GL three-door (EJ20)

glcoupeguy

so i have everything pulled and the EJ20 is in the machine shop and im going with about 12-15 pounds of boost. i was wondering how other people have approached this. im not sure if im going to get a stock turbo or not. i was wondering where other people have placed their aftermarket turbos/intercoolers and how they routed the piping. im not really keen on putting an intercooler under the bumper because i think its kinda ugly. ive already fashioned a hoodscoop so placing it in the spare tire well would be preferable. pictures would be excellent!

heres a youtube video from last summer when the scoop was almost finished

Keep the turbo in the stock location (unless you have twins, if thats the case, you'll be best to convert it to a single turbo setup).

CIMG1373.JPG

Start by running a Top Mount (TMIC) like Turbone and I. This is plenty of cooling for stockish power. Really, you don't need to go front mount (FMIC) till you are in the neighborhood of 300hp at the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are doing a JDM EJ20? look into ViPEC. that is what i have and i love it. super easy to tune, and very drivable. i have had it on my daily driver for almost 15K now and love it...

if going USDM EJ20? stock ECU with accesport or open source should do what you need...

i have done 3 full EJ20 swaps 2 EJ20G's and one EJ207, and a few other subaru swaps. if you have any questions shoot me a PM...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I dont think a NA ECU will work without some sort of piggieback ECU. as soon as the NA ECU sees boost it will freak out... you need to check out;

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50 it is a Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain fourm on NASIOC...

if i were you i would buy a factory turbo exhaust manifold and up pipe, along with a factory downpipe. this will put your turbo in a nice easy location, with lots of turbo options.

• 1 month later...

I'll be running a stinger ems. It's about the equivelant of megasquit but handles older subarus timing sensors in it's stock config. Bigest downer is no avcs control, I'll have to upgrade ems if I go that route. Megasquirt can now handle 2001+(I think that's the right year) Subaru timing cofiguration now FYI. They still don't have any avcs control either though. I'm setting up an ej22t block and 2.5 dohc heads.

Sam

ps... As for turbo location, I'm building an up pipe to rotate a stock type turbo, just as easy to build 2 as one.. Maybe even replicate my topmount setup. My car is an 89 rx.

Edited by bluto5