Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought a used 08 OB and there has always been an odd smell from the HVAC unit. Kinda like smoked meat:eek: mostly when I first turn it on. I changed the cabin air filter and sprayed Lysol down into the vents as well as directly in when the cabin filter was out. Water is draining out normally when running the AC and defroster. I guess the only thing left is cleaning the evaporator.

Has anyone done the drill the hole/squirt in the cleaner treatment to clean the evaporator box?

I'm not even sure how to access the area.

Any pictures or diagrams/instructions/material-parts list appreciated. Hell, I'll drop the car off and pick it up in a few hours if that works for you. :lol:

There's some HVAC/evaporator cleaner I've used for mildew and other stuff. Works very well. I'll usually drop the blower motor and then spray the evap real good. Interdynamics makes it, it's called pure air. May want to try that as well as checking out the evap.

Usually that stuff is very expensive scented lysol.

nipper

I just dont want someone to go for the expensive stuff when the cheap generic stuff will do most the time.

nipper

++ on the cheap fix.

SOA wants a pretty penny for their "stink-no-more" processes.

I haven't yet reassembled the dash after installing the cabin air filter.

I see where the blower motor is and assume that the evaporator is below that. Too cold to play with it today but if I can actually visualize and clean the evaporator I guess beyond that I would need an exorcist. :eek: