Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No oil but crank still turns

I have a 2000 Outback with ~210,000 miles. Today I changed the oil but forgot to add new oil! While idling to check the coolant, the engine suddenly made a loud CLUNK and then stopped.

Now, when I try to start it, the engine still turns but doen not even fire; it also makes a new whining sound. My neighbor who works on large trucks thought the hydraulic valve lifters are the problem. Any thoughts on how to get the lifters working again, or other thoughts on the problem? (I have added oil, by the way....)

Mabe a cam siezed and the timing belt snapped?

How long was it running for? I'd bet you damaged the engine enough that fixing whatever let go isn't worth it. Time to start sourcing a replacement junkyard engine.

I always take off the oil cap before draining the oil and filter and put it on the hood latch. It's a good reminder to fill it back up before doing anything else.

Mabe a cam siezed and the timing belt snapped?

How long was it running for? I'd bet you damaged the engine enough that fixing whatever let go isn't worth it. Time to start sourcing a replacement junkyard engine.

I always take off the oil cap before draining the oil and filter and put it on the hood latch. It's a good reminder to fill it back up before doing anything else.

X2 Pull the timing covers and check the belt.

No oil just at idle you may be able to get away with replacing just what was damaged, but it depends on what caused the engine to stop. If it was a main or rod bearing locking up, then no you pretty much want a new engine. If a cam locks up you replace the head and usually be OK.

The whining sound could be the engine turning faster because of low/no compression because the cams aren't turning.

Edited by Fairtax4me

My thoughts exactly on the whirring noise. When mine jumped the timing belt and bent the valves on 2 cylinders reducing their compressoin to zero and 15lbs, the engine cranked over extra fast and made a different whirring, whining sound. The cylinders may be scuffed to the point of nearly no compression.

I think your engine is probably toast.

yeah this sounds really bad, you're motor is probably toast.

but at least check the timing belt and/or compression.

lifters generally pump back up by themselves if they have hydraulic valve lash adjusters, those of us that have torn these motors down deal with that every time putting them back together. they're generally insanely noisey but quiet up as the air is alleviated from the oil supply. i doubt this is your issue.