Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback misfiring, high compression in one cylinder, low an another.

It has been replaced, about 6 months ago.

There always has to be one problem child..... always one.

Was it new or used. What brand and how much did it cost about.

Is the terminal on tight and is it clean.

is the knock sensor cracked?

Did we cover timing belt replacement, along with idlers and tensioner?

How is the AC on the car, any noise. Sometimes the knock sensor can pick up one of those going bad and then it gets (rightfully) confused.

There always has to be one problem child..... always one.

Was it new or used. What brand and how much did it cost about.

Is the terminal on tight and is it clean.

is the knock sensor cracked?

Did we cover timing belt replacement, along with idlers and tensioner?

How is the AC on the car, any noise. Sometimes the knock sensor can pick up one of those going bad and then it gets (rightfully) confused.

The knock sensor was new. I'll have a look at it to make sure the terminal is tight and clean. The timing belt and tensioners were replaced when we put the used engine in 20k miles or so ago.

The ac is quiet as far as I can tell.

Plugs look pretty normal to me. Running a hair lean (the white deposits on the ground pin) but these engines tend to do that.

Exactly what was the code that you got after the first reset?

I'd march down to the dealer (once you get the knock sensor problem resolved) and demand a refund.

I'd also call SOA and report them for poor service practices.

Absolutely no reason a dealer service department of any kind should not be able to do a proper compression test OR diagnostic for a misfire. I know there are some issues with cars that really are stumpers, and truly require a skilled and well trained and versed technician to diagnose. This issue, in my mind, is not one of those cases.

Hey Kimmer,

What brand of spark plugs are those? That center plug, if you look at it close, does it look like little specs of fly crap on the ceramic? If it does, that's detonation.

Those plugs are rounded and worn looks to me like. Compare the used plug gap to the new, what is it? Bump.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

Exactly what was the code that you got after the first reset?

I'd march down to the dealer (once you get the knock sensor problem resolved) and demand a refund.

I'd also call SOA and report them for poor service practices.

Absolutely no reason a dealer service department of any kind should not be able to do a proper compression test OR diagnostic for a misfire. I know there are some issues with cars that really are stumpers, and truly require a skilled and well trained and versed technician to diagnose. This issue, in my mind, is not one of those cases.

when you say "after the first reset" I assume you mean after I changed the plugs and wires, in which case it would be the knock sensor code. this is the only code it has thrown since I replaced the plugs and wires

Now that the car is running right, I would be tempted to just forget the whole thing, but I really want to walk back in to that dealership with no CEL on and demand a refund. I hadn't thought about calling SOA, but I think I will, maybe it will be good for a couple oil changes or something.