Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OBD not ready to be tested?

So another question about my failed NY inspection. They said that the computer cannot be tested because it was blanked. I did disconnect the battery several days ago, but I've driven about 75 miles city/highway afterwards. Is that not enough? Can I get the OBD tested at an autozone to see it shows what it's supposed to show?

Mine is a 98 OBW, sorry forgot to mention that.

Not sure how many times I started it, but I think it was about 3 cold starts, and several times on/off, e.g. when getting gas.

Is there any way I can check if it's ready by plugging in a reader? I really don't want to pay another $37 and waste another hour just for them to tell me that I failed.

Getting OBD-II I/M monitors ready is dependent on a proper drive cycle. Most states, based on EPA guidelines, allow for two monitors to be incomplete and still pass inspection. See the following links for info from Subaru and NY State.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/OBDInfo.pdf

http://www.nysassrs.com/htms/ReadinessFailureFactSheet.htm

http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c114.pdf

Mine is a 98 OBW, sorry forgot to mention that.

Not sure how many times I started it, but I think it was about 3 cold starts, and several times on/off, e.g. when getting gas.

Is there any way I can check if it's ready by plugging in a reader? I really don't want to pay another $37 and waste another hour just for them to tell me that I failed.

It's been awhile since I've done inspections, but I believe they should not be charging you again for re-testing if it's just a matter of waiting for the computer to be ready.

Dave

Well, they also said that I need a new tie rod end (posted it in another post) and brake light :eek:.

I'll take the car for a long highway drive about now, hopefully that would be enough for the computer to set everything right.

Is there a way to check it before I go to the inspection place? I'm actually a bit concerned because I don't think the cats were ever changed on this car, and it does produce some smoke and water out of the pipe. I don't think smoke is excessive compared to other cars I've seen on the road, but really can't afford to spend a ton of money to repair emissions system now and would rather be sure.

Another question, when at the inspection place, they put a large hose on the end of the tailpipe. What is that used for?

Hey,

I had a 96 impreza and the computer would not allow the emission test. My mechanic at the time gave my car back to me and said to drive it a bit. I was driving about 300-400 miles a week at the time so it was no problem to get some miles on it. Moral of the story is that my cars computer never a emission test to be performed. It was a pita the first time. had to get a whole bunch of legal exempt papers from Harrisburgh, pa. With me being in pittsburgh. Luckily my mechanic took care of all of it, but it did take almost 2 weeks to get everything said and done.

Dont know if this helps. But if this is the case try to go somewhere where their willing to help you out. I would have been sol with a bunch of failed emissions if I would have went any where else.

Greg