Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Compression EA82T

well this is my first post - i'm from Brisbane, Australia, and a regular on the ausubaru forums. I've got a 87 RX and eventually i'll be EJ20 turbo'ing the car, but at the moment money is tight and i have a few things at my disposal...

my EA82T (3 plug) has a leaky head, but i have a rather good EA82 MPFI (4 plug) that just happens to have gen3 turbo heads on it, great compression and no exhaust gas in the coolant.

so from what i can gather, it is possible to turbo the NA MPFI with varying degrees of success. i'm not after an engine that'll last 200000 miles, but something that'll be a bit more powerful for offroading, and more reliable than my engine that drinks coolant for a living.

so i'm trying to work out the best options for doing this. i should mention that my car has a waic as well.

is it best to use the 4 plug NA ecu? obviously the MAF is better than the flapper, but what about it not having a knock sensor? can a knock sensor be "added" to the 4 plugger and the ecu starts to use it? what do guys set their timing to as well?

i assume also that a rrfpr and using the turbo injectors is also the safest option? (i have a 255LPH walbro fuel pump, so that's no problem)

i'll probably think of more questions and ideas, but what else should i know?

Welcome to the Forum. This type of question usually belongs in the Retrofit Forum, so if it disappears, look there.

To answer a few of your questions tho, its been done by a few folks here.

CalebZ and Caboobaroo are the ones I know off hand that have tried it.

Yes, tried.

They used the SPFI block (9.5:1) and kept the EA82T intake and ECU.

It really needs the knock sensor, so drill and tap the place on the block where it should be normally.

The only way to make this setup reliable is to not increase boost past 7lbs.

It wont matter what you have to cool things or increase fuel, the EA82 isnt designed for this. Even the EA82T isnt well designed for increased boost.

the block i have is an MPFI block, so it already has the knock sensor spot and the breather pipe already, so no problems there.

so what are the thoughts on a rising rate fuel pressure reg? like a malpassi 1.7:1 rate fpr? that'll help keep things cool with the help of fuel.

was going to keep the boost stock 99% of the time. i have a ebc, but rarely turn it on. only ups the boost a few psi anyway.

and what about the NA 4 plug ecu? is that best or stick with the 3 plug turbo ecu?