Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY wife totaled our VW Jetta and the insurance company offered us around $8000 for a replacement. I want to find a used Outback but after two rebuilt engines in my 97, I'm a little wary of certain years of Outbacks which may have an inherent problem. I need your input on what to look out for in the years in my price range- 2000 to 2005. Are there engines during this time frame that should be avoided?

Thanks, I know if any source can answer my questions it's this site.

Dave

The H6 is a great motor but only available in certain models.

If not then get a 2003+ EJ25. Head gasket issues decrease past 2002 and that's when Subaru's extended headgasket warranty ends as well as they started adding the goop to the coolant.

An extremely reliable engine is the 2.2 liter EJ22 but it's only found in very limited models from 2000-2002 - like some impreza's only. Doesn't give you much like options, trims, and real nice kind of feel if that's what you're after. But great cars performance wise and reliability.

Cars101.com will define subaru options and what's available for you.

Keep your eyes out for an EJ25 that has already had the head gaskets replaced, they aren't that hard to find and then you don't have to worry about them again if the job was done right.

$8k is more than enough to get a great car. I'm a huge fan of expanding my range. i've flown to pick up cars before.

just some advice in going with a used subaru:

I am doing a head gasket in a 97 outback, dohc 2.5.

As i am doing the work, i noticed the orig. gasket is 3 layers, and the new head gaskets are 4 layers(felpro)

Maybe soob switched to 4 layers in newer models? it would be safe to assume a subaru that has had the head gaskets done already would be a permanent fix(if the motor was not too cooked to begin with)

I just bought a 2004 Legacy wagon, non-Outback 5MT, 81k miles for $8800 total (taxes, fees, etc). So you could definitely find something in the mid 2000's range for that price. I used Autotrader, it worked well. Also, dealers seem fairly willing to haggle on price right now so you could get yourself a decent deal. Good luck, I hope you find a good one!

Personallty,I'd look around for a uber-cream puff '93 or '94 Legacy Wagon. 5mt of course. Maybe one with 60-70k miles,garage kept with all the maintainence records. A flawless one,for sure. I'd drive it for twenty years and see if I could get a half million miles out of it.

Even if you had to have such a car shipped or went and picked it up yourself, you could still prolly put 3-4 grand in the bank.