Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newer Subaru weather band radio in GL...

Has anyone put an OEM Subaru weather radio from a newer Subaru in an older generation subaru? I really like our OEM weather radio (and CD changer) in our 2000 OBW. I think I am going to find one from salvage yard and put in my 86 GL wagon. Just wondering if anyone has done this yet.

Did it in my wagon years ago. Problem is you can't fully install the radio because the newer radio will bump up against the heater stuff under the dash. New radios are a lot deeper than your OEM radio. Somewhere I found an "extension" trim piece that made the install work. Can't recall where I got the new trim piece/housing and doubt if it is even made anymore.

Isn't this weather nice? Freezing my butt off.

Thanks for the info.

and yes, all things being relative, it is quite cold this morning in KY. 0 degrees early this morning in Frankfort, 8 degrees around 7:30. We ended up with around 3" of snow.

Where abouts in Kentucky are you located?

The easiest way to do this is to go to a car stereo shop and have buy the vehicle harness for your car. That'll be Metra part number 70-8900. Also, you'll want to buy a dash kit for your car. They don't make a double din dash kit, so you'll have to modify one. This will be Metra part number 99-8900 or American International (AI) part number SB-K930. The AI part is the better one here. Then you will need a "repair harness" to connect the radio. You'll want Metra part number 71-8901.

Now that you have your parts, you'll take the two wiring harnesses and match them up color for color. It is generally best to do this with both harnesses facing the same direction so that when you've put all the wires into butt connectors, the harness will have two plastic connectors on one end and a collection of butt connectors on the other end. Doing so will give you better connections at each wire and will also help save a little bit of space in the dash. Next, you'll need to cut out the opening in your dash kit. There will be a single din knockout. Then you'll have to cut the lower part to match. Just use the knockout as a pattern.

I don't recall how the GL/Loyale stereos were mounted inside the dash. I think they were just a set of flat L brackets. Been a while since I was in one of those dashes. You may be able to simply transplant the brackets from your old stereo to the new one. However, I suspect you'll need to modify them or perhaps build some new brackets.

Plug your harness into the car, then into the stereo. PLug in the antenna, mount the stereo, install the dash kit. Voila. All done.

I just had an 01 six disc in my XT recently... worked fine even though I didn't mount it too well. The only problem with the GL is it will hit the heater box... Even my single din sticks out a bit.

920_0189.jpg

920_0188.jpg

As you can see I skipped the adapter, mostly because the XT-6 one is different and not available IIRC... I just cut the old harness off of the back of the stock radio. Then used the diagram I found here witch is pretty much universal for all new gen cars.

http://ae64.com/Forester-pinout.htm

Good luck!

this is kind of a weird idea, but could you cut a notch in the heater box and then close it with plastic flat stock? seems to me it'd just be the top corner of the radio hitting, and a cable dremel would let you reach in there...

really don't know how much room there is to play, but maybe some brave soul could carefully trim a peek a boo slot and see how much room there is

metal tape might close it up too.. just an idea