Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blow off Valve on a EA82T

It will effect the engine, only after you shift. You will get a rich mixture after every shift which will cause your engine to studder. Also while you are stopped at a red light your engine might not want to idle.

But, you do get the cool "Swooosh" sound. Its not worth it, what you need is not a blow-off valve, but a bypass valve.

Yeah, I've spoken to a guy who owns a turbo performance shop, and every time some douchebag boyracer comes in with work wanting done, he sells them a vent-to-atmosphere BOV. He says it keeps them coming back when they blow up their turbos :P

Basically, a BOV is designed to recirculate air back into the pipe, so when you shift your turbo doesn't go from 30,000+ RPM to 0. Oh course, the "phooosh" that you hear with BOVs are vent to atmosphere. Most of them don't use a plumback system (where the air is recirculated) it just gets blown out into the engine bay.

So basically, they're useless if they're not at least partly plumback.

As for putting one into an EA82T, I wouldn't know. I've never tried it.

BOV's are used for engines that have no MAF or a MAF installed past the turbo.

BPV's are used for engines that use a MAF at the air filter.... like Subarus

The EA82T did not come with either valve from the factory. They have a system that keeps the throttle body from slamming completely shut. It works when you are running stock boost, but if you increase the boost or install an intercooler, its very wise to install a bypass valve.

I have a BPV on my EA82t it's a factory subaru part (legacy turbo not sure of year) plumbed to recirculate boost from just in front of the TB to just in front of the turbo. With my cold air intake and open element air filter it does make a noise but not loud like the boy racer types. The BPV has improved the car a bit since there is no boost fall off after a shift (0-60 is just under 7 sec @11psi) On these cars with an air flow meter (often called a MAF or AFM) you need to recirculate the air back into the intake after the AFM. If you don't when you shift the car will go pig rich every time you shift (because fuel for the air you just dumped has been injected).

Edited by vagen

have a v24 x trim makes 18 psi on the dyno. at the track every time i shift it takes forever to make the boost back up. its a manual trans 90 mustang with a vortech mondo blow off valve. is there any way to make this work at the track and keep it at 18 psi or would another blow off valve be better?

I think it's fair to ask a turbo related question in a turbo thread, but it may wrinkle a few the wrong way to post a Racing Mustang question on a late 1980's Subaru board. Surely there is a Mustang board that may be an exact fit for what you're talking about?

WTF is a "v24 x trim"? That is a good example of the language differences between what is here, and what may make some sense somewhere else.

Try the 'non soob' vehicle area on this board, or google anything Mustang. I am hoping that if I am polite, you will not get flame broiled beyond recognition and go to the XJ board where the trolls will eat you alive.

Edited by Txakura

I have a BPV on my EA82t it's a factory subaru part (legacy turbo not sure of year) plumbed to recirculate boost from just in front of the TB to just in front of the turbo. With my cold air intake and open element air filter it does make a noise but not loud like the boy racer types. The BPV has improved the car a bit since there is no boost fall off after a shift (0-60 is just under 7 sec @11psi) On these cars with an air flow meter (often called a MAF or AFM) you need to recirculate the air back into the intake after the AFM. If you don't when you shift the car will go pig rich every time you shift (because fuel for the air you just dumped has been injected).

This is good to know. This is a whole new world of hurt for me and I am learning what I can here first. Later I will blow up my ej22 and blame GD for giving me the idea. :lol:

If I had a secret desire to burp flames on my shifting like the rally Lancias I grew up watching, does that make me a 'boy racer'? As I'm pushing middle aged, I should probably get that squared away so I at least know where I stand in the hierarchy.

Too OT?

run a BPV.

im running 17psi on my stage 2 wrx swap in my impreza, it still makes that sound but im still making full boost before 3000rpms. also i spit a fireball out the exhaust every once in a while if im on the track and runnin it hard for a long period. the turbo gets so hot that it will after fire. i have herd them and others have seen them but no pictures as of yet of it.

What would be the risks and would it work becouse i've heard that the turbo's output is just 7-8 psi , will it make that swosshhing sound and will it influence the engines running ???????

Why not go with a BPV(Bypass Valve), versus a BOV? If you route it right and use an open air element(Cone Filter or the like), the release of pressure from the bypass valve is still audible, and unlike a blow-off valve, it will keep your engine and ecu happy.:banana:

-Patrick

ok i have bought one and i don't know where the vacuum hose should go ,,,

i put it on the turbo wastegate hose and no effect where should it go.???

the BPV signal should be connected to the intake manifold so it will see vacuum when you close the throttle. you can tee into the hose to the fuel pressure regulator.