Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inner race orientation & CV pic... what's this mean?

I am rebooting my front PS axle using Numbchux's awesome write-up in the USRM.

I have two questions... First, how does the inner race in the DOJ get oriented when reinstalling? The FSM doesn't indicate one way versus the other. There is a slightly more beveled edge but other than that it seems very uniform, almost like it wouldn't matter. Does it?

Secondly, I figured I'd reboot the CV as well, and found this scoring on the outside of the CV. What's this mean? There's no clicking or indication of failure. It seems like a result of really high temperature... grease bad or no good anymore?

post-28576-136027638744_thumb.jpg

The blue just indicates where the race was probably welded - perhaps durring a remanufacturing process or maybe even primary manufacturing.

The orientation of the inner race for the DOJ should be evident by the wear patterns of the inner and outer race - look for the locations on the two races where the balls contact and line them up.

Also - I beleive the concave side is toward the spring clip - but check me on that with the wear pattern.

GD

whew... blue spots normal, good to go!

The concave side does face the spring clip (facing the shaft). After closer inspection and trying both ways, it now makes sense to me seeing the internals move within their range of motion. It's subtle, but the non-concave side actually catches slightly if its facing the shaft, ever so slightly.

Thanks guys!