Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sway bar size question

-> I just discovered that my GL needs a new sway bar bushing.

20441_1086570821322_1737980160_168093_222998_n.jpg

20441_1086570861323_1737980160_168094_2167536_n.jpg

20441_1086570901324_1737980160_168095_4239132_n.jpg

20441_1086570941325_1737980160_168096_7382781_n.jpg

20441_1086570981326_1737980160_168097_4290408_n.jpg

-> Then I went to RockAuto, then the confusion starts. On a '89 GL, what size do I belong? According to RockAuto, there is 16mm, 18mm, & 19mm.

-> And...

...should I get the whole sway bar link or...

front_end_link_removal.jpg

(Impreza/WRX shown)

...just the bearing itself?

5501065-1.jpg

-> Thanks guys! :(

and there is difference in ea81 and ea82 series front bars..........and , just measure your bar.

just clean of a good spot, caliper it , and read.....simple.cheers, brian

for the 'fulcrum bushing' as described by the above posting, yes

but the sway bar linkages and bushings he and I both need? the end bits?

Okay, not trying to be a smartalick or talk to you like you are an idiot, but do yourself a huge favor and mosey on down to the local hardware store. Ask for a sliding caliper. Whoever is working should be able to help you locate the part that you are looking for. Now then, after purchasing said caliper(you can most times find some as cheap as $5), go to your vehicle('89 GL Touring D/R 4WD 5spd manual 1.8L mpfi), take some Simple Green, Dawn dishwashing liquid and a little water, the neighbor's dog's tongue, and clean a small section of the sway bar or the hole where the bushing goes, or whatever it is that you are trying to measure, and measure it. Remember, "measure twice, cut once." Basically measure it twice to make sure that you are getting an accurate reading. The sliding caliper will tell you what the diameter of the object it is that you desire to know. Just remember, as stated before by ruparts,"they(the endlink bushings) are the same on all the ea 82 series cars." I certainly hope that this helps and I'm sincerely sorry for the tone of this reply.

-Patrick

OT-> I'm sorry if I sound that I'm stupid or whatsoever earlier. I'm no grease monkey like most you guys (I'm just a beginner), plus its being done at my co-workers place (although he has more knowledge on fixing cars than I do). Were both unaware regarding Subarus, my only sources are either my Haynes manual and USMB. :(

OT-> I apologize for anything to those I offended. I just want to learn all of these stuff, no ones born a master... :(

BT-> I will call the Subaru dealership here in Vegas and (hopefully) the car will be done by tomorrow. :)

Vanishing, no need to apoligize. People on here should be alittle more understanding to noobs, especially young guys like yourself who are likely wrenching for the 1st time. I can understand how they feel though having to answer the same questions posted all the time over and over again. I hope it doesnt turn you off from this websight. One of the easiest thing to do is ask the parts store. Tell them what year and make you have and they might be able to give you a better idea. Though parts stores:rolleyes: have been known to get it wrong from time to time. You will find out that throughout 85-94 these cars pretty much stayed the same. From 88-94 they all recieved fuel injection. 90-94 they only had single range transmissons. But most of the nuts and bolts remained the same. The difference in sway bars depends if you had a rx, xt6, turbo things like that. But you have just a normal touring wagon so whatever is most common for sway bars is what you have. Dont get discouraged and i encourage you to work on your own car. Some things i do think a professional or someone with vast knowledge should try to do. But easy things like your brakes, tuneup, and whatnot sholuld be done buy you. It bonds you with your car and makes you more knowledgeable about basic automotive function. I wouldnt know anything i know today if i didnt listen to those older then me and much more profeciant in cars. I still learn to this day new things. Replaced my 1st pair of struts and sway bar links last weekend.

p.s im not attacking anyone here im just trying to encourage all to be more patient when it comes to people new here asking questions. Most dont know that there is only 1 other wheel you can use on this bolt pattern. I know it gets tiresome but were here to help.

-> This getting crazy, but I'm glad its over!

-> Anyhow, I already placed an order for the part at Subaru of Las Vegas. I'm thanking ruparts for the part number, Subaru of Las Vegas & Subaru OEM Headquarters for specifying the specific part. Also at the same time, I've placed an order for the oil pan gasket just in case in the near future at Subaru OEM.

-> So according to Subaru of Las Vegas, here's what the say:

16mm = All DL/GL FWD/4WD non-turbo

18mm = GL-10 & Turbo? FWD/4WD

19mm = ??????

-> Many thanks for the help! :)

Vanishing Boy, I'm sorry for snapping at you like that. I guess if I had taken a little more time to look at your post count, I would've noticed that you are new to this. I am glad to hear that you got the parts that you need. I guess one thing you might possibly want to include in a post, is that if you have never undertaken a certain project that you may be posting about before, just put in there that you haven't ever done that before. It will keep people like myself, from jumping to conclusions and use a little more patience and understanding when replying. So again, I'm very sorry for griping at you in such a harsh manner.

- Patrick

One more thing vanishing. Until you become a known member you need to put what type of car you have. I know you did in a latter post but there are so many (older) subarus that you need to be specific. My car is a 88 subaru DL which has a single range only. Things like that people will pick up on quickly. :)

The endlink bushings are not affected by the sway bar diameter. So the diameter of the shaft has no bearing on the swaybar links. You were asking about replacing the links, so the whole part about the bar size was irrelevant.

If you're replacing the swaybar to crossmember bushings, then it does matter. Easiest way to find out is by measureing, because any swaybar could have been swapped onto any car at any point...

-> ...

my earlier head bashing was over the roundy roundy vocab test, nothing you said :rolleyes:

is it the right number for the round bushing at the end of the sway bar?

let me know if it is the right part, mine are fried

^ Yes it is by the end of the sway/stabilizer bar.

-> And I will keep you up on the updates this weekend. :)

Vanishing Boy, I'm sorry for snapping at you like that. I guess if I had taken a little more time to look at your post count, I would've noticed that you are new to this. I am glad to hear that you got the parts that you need. I guess one thing you might possibly want to include in a post, is that if you have never undertaken a certain project that you may be posting about before, just put in there that you haven't ever done that before. It will keep people like myself, from jumping to conclusions and use a little more patience and understanding when replying. So again, I'm very sorry for griping at you in such a harsh manner.

- Patrick

^ I do appreciate your concern. As you can see my post history, most of the threads that I created was based mostly by questions on how to do this and that. :)

One more thing vanishing. Until you become a known member you need to put what type of car you have. I know you did in a latter post but there are so many (older) subarus that you need to be specific. My car is a 88 subaru DL which has a single range only. Things like that people will pick up on quickly. :)

^ I've already introduced myself properly here. Sorry that I overlooked that part. I was depressed and agitated that we didn't finish the wagon that night. :(

The endlink bushings are not affected by the sway bar diameter. So the diameter of the shaft has no bearing on the swaybar links. You were asking about replacing the links, so the whole part about the bar size was irrelevant.

If you're replacing the swaybar to crossmember bushings, then it does matter. Easiest way to find out is by measureing, because any swaybar could have been swapped onto any car at any point...

^ I was looking on that part the entire time. My friend will double measure it before I coming inI'm about. And I thank Subaru LV & Subaru OEM for being so supportive on my wagon.

:)

^ The thing was last Saturday, we were expecting an easy remove-replace-install job (for the front CV/half-drive, fuel filter, spark plug/wires, & air filter). The mistake was, we were overwhelmed and we underestimated the job itself. Because half of the cars life (10 years) was on the ranch, so most of its suspension components are either seized, worned, or disintegrated. Plus the part store gave us the wrong CV/half-drive for the other side of the axle. :(

-> We will finish the job by today, with or without the sway bushings (which will arrive on Friday). :)

Edited by Vanishing Boy

^ The thing was last Saturday, we were expecting an easy remove-replace-install job (for the front CV/half-drive, fuel filter, spark plug/wires, & air filter). The mistake was, we were overwhelmed and we underestimated the job itself. Because half of the cars life (10 years) was on the ranch, so most of its suspension components are either seized, worned, or disintegrated. Plus the part store gave us the wrong CV/half-drive for the other side of the axle. :(

-> We will finish the job by today, with or without the sway bushings (which will arrive on Friday). :)

Check out your brake lines. From being buy constant moisture they tend to rot quickly on farm cars.