Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what are the different engine names

bein new to subies i dont know what like an ea82 or a ej22 is or any of the others. i just know 1.8, 2.2 an 2.5 and t stands for turbo. is there a guide? or something i couldnt find anything on here or google but im horrible at internet research so please help lol

guess i should of looked before i asked lol. mine is a ej18 but cant tell if its a 1 2 or 3. i guess there is not much difference. anyone know off the top of their head what engines have the same bellhousing as that? i heard they changed in like 98 but hope not lol i wanna put a 6 speed under this thing

there are VIN decoders online - do a search for VIN decoders for a Subaru.

cars101.com offers all your Subaru needs as well.

you'd also know all you need to know by asking here - what year/make do you have and we can tell you what you got, down to which bolts on the engine are 8, 10, 12, 14, and 17 mm if we had too :lol:

bell housing doesn't matter. you can essentially bolt up any EJ18, EJ22, EJ25, EG33, EZ30, EZ36, EJ22T....for that matter you can get adapter plates to bolt up anything that isn't a direct bolt on.

if you're doing a 6 speed swap then there's nothing stopping you from using an adapter plate. are you really going to be doing this?

Edited by grossgary

sweet thanks man. its a 93 impreza L? engine came from a 5 speed wagon.

im thinking about getting my friends turbo legacy no title, keys and the body is in pretty bad shape if i remember right. but pull that motor and turbo and possibly 5 speed and diffs then put the motor and turbo in mine and put the 6 speed behind that and then make the diffs lsd and make it a wannabe sti lol. or make it rwd and have a sleepy drifter lol. i think his motor is a 2.2 but not for sure i will try to go over tommorow and see what i can find out