Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine to transaxil will not fit together

I'm pretty sure your suppose to seat the TC into the trans and attach the engine w/flexplate only, to the TC After you mate the two.

And,you have to make Really certain the TC seats into the trans pump before you install the engine and flexplate.

You should search the proceedure or wait for someone who knows the process. Seems I read on here if it's not done just right,bad stuff will happen.

go to dealer get new TC seal .........install ...........place TC on shaft spin L&R till you feel & hear 3 clicks, thunks ..... thats for a chevy

I cant see any difference for a 4eat maybe the amount of thunks :rolleyes:

bolt motor &tran together ........then ........the flex plate

Edited by bobaru

^^^^ Posting at the same time.

I read that the whole mess will bolt together,and you think everything is Ok,but,because the TC isn't seated into the pump the correct way,you'll cook your tranny in short order.

More like instantaneously. That splined shaft that runs through the TC, if not fully seated/engaged, will break the internal fluid pump. Been there, done that.

One other thing to think of is if you're putting a 2.2l engine in where a 2.5l was, you need to use the 2.5l flexplate on the 2.2l crank. The torque converters are different depths 2.2 to 2.5, so a 2.2l flexplate will hold the motor out from seating.

But yeah, torque converter in the tranny first ALWAYS. If you don't you break the pump when you tighten down the bellhousing bolts. Doesn't matter what manufacturer.