Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy - rough acceleration, smooth idle

Hmmm when was the last time it had a tune up...perhaps a clogged fuel filter...perhaps a bad sensor its hard to tell sometimes....any maintenance history? automatic or manual? How many miles are on the vehicle? Usually if you have an open plug wire it will cause a miss and throw the light...however I do know for a fact some of the early subarus where hesitant to throw the light even though they where OBDII..I have actually seen some older Subarus miss like you wouldn't believe and the CEL never illuminated...and yes the light was working properly..lol...Also check the ignition coil...

Thanks for the advice. I'll try plug wires and fuel filter. (Actually I have 2 of these 98 Sub Legacys so I'll do a little parts swapping to troubleshoot). BTW, regarding maintenance and more details...it's a manual, 97k miles, I replaced the clutch, and other mechanical parts during the clutch repair, and have replaced the air filter. I'm the 2nd owner. Would it be sensible to swap out the EGR? Thanks for your comments. I'll let you know what I learn.

"new" or "I got them from subaru yesterday" new. Unless they are the later I wouldnt say it hasnt been diagnosed. Also you need to do a real tuneup, plugs, wires, filters, CV valve.

This being a 1998, it may be overdue for a timing belt. On a 2.2 it is every 60,000 miles (1 month = 1000 miles) With it being such low miles the 2nd timing belt may past it's life, assuming that the first one was ever replaced. Check the timing belt.

nipper

Edited by nipper

Thanks for the comments and advice - I'll try the vacuum leak and fuel pressure. The wires were new, as in new yesterday, not swapped (I presume you may have assumed I swapped em from my other sub??) Belt was changed at 75K Naru, what's MAF and TPS? Thanks!

Thanks for the comments and advice - I'll try the vacuum leak and fuel pressure. The wires were new, as in new yesterday, not swapped (I presume you may have assumed I swapped em from my other sub??) Belt was changed at 75K Naru, what's MAF and TPS? Thanks!

MassAirflowSensor and ThrottlePositionSensor

Look at the CoolantTemperatureSensor before those.

Vacuum leaks normally result in poor idle quality.

(greater charge dilution at lower airflow)