Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car has been running rough recently. Will be great for a while and then it sputters and sometimes just dies. More often it drives just like it always has. It only seems to do this at low rpm/light throttle. But not always, more like 10% of the time. Seems like its slowly getting worse though.

Pulled the codes today and got a 22 23 and 35.

22 should be taken car of (replaced the knock sensor)

35 is just the purge thing.

23 is what has me worried. Does this mean my maf is toast?

Also, with regards to the knock sensor, i replaced it a couple weeks ago in an effort to increase my slowly declining mileage. It helped, maybe just a bit but the code is still there. Should it go away on its own or do i have to clear it?

Thanks guys, you keep my car running!

Suddenly 3 months ago my OBS would not idle for more than 10 mins before dying out. It did not leave the driveway. I finally bought an OBD scanner 2 weeks ago and then last week I ordered a used MAF off Ebay, it arrived Saturday and today is the 3rd day that I have used that car. I bought another MAF last night as a backup to carry in the car (you can swap one out in 5 mins. at roadside if needed) and maybe I will get a 3rd one to keep on hand! Total investment including shipping so far, $39 for 2. Worth the gamble? I think so!

The code will not clear on its own. It stays in memory until cleared. Disconnect the negative battery cable AFTER you make any repairs to erase the code. If the problem persists that code will come back.

Not that I recommend doing this but, you can tap on the MAF with the handle of a screwdriver and see if the idle changes. If you do go to the junk yard for a MAF, make sure and leave the upper portion of the air box on. This makes for a quick swap in the junk yard parking lot. My mechanic also told me to make sure the part numbers match up on them, not sure if the auto got a different one from the 5 speed.