Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys. I have a '98 Legacy Outback. I've been doing a lot of reading up lately on the do-it-yourself cold air intakes. I'm pretty interested in doing this to get that sweet noise and a bit better fuel economy and maybe some power gains. While also saving money from having to buy the $200+ CAI systems.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what supplies I would need to buy or a good write up on how to do this? Or maybe post a link of someone who has done something similar? Anything helps.

Thanks!

Open the hood. Look at the right front of the car. You will see a snorkle there. Follow it to the front of the car.

WALLAH you have a cold air intake.

The car somes with one.

And most cold air intakes are mistaken. Some people think a filter under the hood is CAI, and its not. Others strip out the snorkus and put a filter inside thr front right fender, and thats a just a hot road in summer intake 9not to mention a great wet vac if you drive through deep water)>

nipper

I'm not looking to build the air intake where the filter stays under the hood in the engine bay. I want to build the kind where the cone filter goes down in the fender, grabbing cold air. Cold air=more power.

The stock snorkel already does that without the potential for hydro-locking your engine - that's what we are trying to tell you. It's a gimick - one that will do nothing but cause potential problems.

GD

I'm not looking to build the air intake where the filter stays under the hood in the engine bay. I want to build the kind where the cone filter goes down in the fender, grabbing cold air. Cold air=more power.

It's already there as designed. Subarus with the stock system already have a CAI. It is also designed to keep the car from sucking in water when going through a deep puddle (this is hydrolock). Water does not compress. When it gets sucked into an engine the engine basically bends many internal parts in very lethal (for the engine and your wallet) ways. Unless you are running a refrigeration coil on the wir intake, for 6 months of the year no matter what you think a aftermarket CAI system is, it is going to be sucking in hot air. The factory set up works well.

nipper