Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 impreza trans into 97 legacy (awd)

yeah like 1990-2000+ almost any Subaru Legacy/Impreza/Forester transmission is interchangeable fairly easily. There's a few changes over the years but still interchangeable easily.

The biggest hump is the final drive ratio is probably different. I'm guessing but the impreza might be 3.9 and the Legacy could be 4.11. The easy way around it is just to get a matching rear diff and swap that too.

Or verify gear ratios, but it's quite annoying verifying that since Subaru was kind of scatter-brained about final drive ratios, it's not as simple as asking what year/model has the gear ratio's you need - it's much more convoluted than that:rolleyes:

The one significant difference might also be clutch type - quite a few Legacy's have hydraulic clutch starting around that year and the Impreza probably won't, it'll be cable clutch. Pretty sure those systems are interchangeable, but might require a few extra steps to fit your cable style cltuch components from the impreza onto a hydraulic clutch equipped legacy - the trans are still identical (keeping gear ratio notes above in mind).

Just for the record, my '97 Impreza (originally a 3.900) has had a '95 Legacy (4.111 with matching rear), a '96 Legacy (back to the 3.900), and a '95 WRX (JDM with 4.111 again).

Why am I going through transmissions so fast you ask. Original car was bought with 120K on the odo and I use it for my DD and rallyX car. All the other transmissions, except the WRX one, came from Pull a Part and had over 125K on them when I pulled them.

WRX tranny required the most modification since it was hydraulicly actuated and needed a conversion to cable (new clutch fork and moving the pivot ball for the fork and removing the hydraulic stuff and replacing it with the cable stuff). My suspicion is that almost year from 1991 to 2000 (and maybe later) can be made to fit.

By the way, the WRX transmission only had 45K on it when it was installed. It's the sweetest shifting I've seen in the Imp. We'll see how long it lasts. Since this one is a short ratio gearbox I'll likely have it rebuilt if it goes out prematurely.