Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I posted this on another board and didn't get much response other than a good one from Nipper.

I have a 99 OBW with a 2.5L DOHC that needs HGs its got 233k miles on it. I like the car and figure that repairs are better than $500/mo for 60 months for a new car!

My question is regarding what options make the most sense for this engine/car. It hasn't overheated and currently transfers coolant from rad to overflow tank. New Subaru Rad cap and thermostat.

Option 1: fix headgaskets/replace "while your in there" parts + head checks. Nipper suggested since engine is over 160k to consider replacing short block.

Option 2: used engine+HG+while your in there parts. Found a 41k mi used engine for $2k delivered

Option 3: rebuilt long block (bare $1700) + while your in there parts

Option 4: CCR engine $3500 + install

I don't have the tools/equipment/space to do the job myself but have found a local non-dealer who has Subaru experience.

Any opinions? I plan to keep the car for at least 5yrs. Its got new tires, brakes, rad, hoses, brakes and battery.

Thanks!

GD,

Thanks for the option. May have to look into that if it doesn't get too complicated. Will ask shop to price that option.

I'm not generally inclined to do mods (I'm old and boring) but it sounds like a better price for the engine. Not sure what the other costs would be or how they would add up. If I could do this myself (need time, tools and place to work) I would seriously consider going that route, or just fixing it myself!

:banana:

If you search in the retro-fitting forum a bit it should give you an idea of the job. Basically the engine and exhaust bolt up with no mods. The intake is different so you have to use an EJ22 from an OBD-II car (96 through 99) and a manifold from either an EJ25 phase II, or there are wireing modifications I think that can allow you to use the EJ22 manifold if it's new enough - basically the car's computer will run the EJ22 with no problem - it's just a matter of giving it the manifold w/sensors that it wants.

They are MUCH more reliable engines than the phase-I or phase-II EJ25's so if the car is nice it's probably worth the effort. Plus once the conversion is done, EJ22's are a dime a dozen since they rarely fail.

GD

My advise is to think long and hard before opting for a rebuilt engine. If you get a lemon, usually you will be responsible for the expenses of de-installing the engine, shipping the engine back and forth, and re-installation. And, there is no guarantee that subsequent replacement engines will be any better.

If you get a good rebuilt engine the first time, everyone is all smiles and giggles. But if you get a lemon, it can turn ugly and expensive very quickly.