Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering doesn't work

The PS on my '88 GL wagon is not working. It worked when I bought the car, albeit not well. But now it doesn't work at all. The pump has plenty of fluid and the belt is fine. Is the pump the only possible part that could cause this, or is there something else that could be the culprit?

It can be the pump, strut top-hats, ball joints, tie rods, the rack.

When you start to turn the wheel, does it sound like the pump is loading up? Loosing the PS belt slightly to see if it slips under load may be a cheap way to test the pump. You may have to wet the belt. If it still doesnt squeel/slip it may be a shot pump.

Is the rack leaking at all?

Does it only happen in the morning then get better as it warms up (that would be bad rack) ?

If the rack isnt binding or leaking, lets blame the pump. they are cheap enough, and they do go bad.

You could drain the fluid through a coffee filter and look for metal.

I have never heard of a rack loosing its boost and not having leaks or binding, but I have heard of pumps (age) giving up the ghost.

Otherwise we have to get a pressure gauge and some hose and tee fittings. Since there are only 4 parts to this system (2 hoses rack and pump) I suggest the pump.

nipper

OK, forgive my n00bism, but I may have been mistaken. It's been a while since I was able to move the car, but I got it drivable today, and I took it around the block. With the fluid topped off, the PS did function, but when I turn the wheel there is a loud, constant noise.