Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 EA82 Wagon Won't Start

My '88 DL with 200k refuses to start. Not even a slight catch. turns freely. I have checked the fuel delivery (spfi), checked the spark (New distributor etc.) and it looks good.

I tried doing a compression check by turning the motor over, and I can't get an accurate reading. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

Any other things that could be wrong? I am suspecting bad head gasket leaks. It has newer timing belts.

Have you checked the timing belts? The belts themselves might be new, but that doesn't help if a tensioner seizes. Rip off the two outer inspection covers and just take a peek. 5 minutes work or less to definitely make sure its not the belts.

Have not checked the timing, but did compression test today, and the left-side cylinders both test 0, so I'm thinking a blown head gasket at least, if not a cracked head. Is it worth doing the heads, or should I get a new motor? I imagine it's pretty tired at 200k anyway.

Have not checked the timing, but did compression test today, and the left-side cylinders both test 0, so I'm thinking a blown head gasket at least, if not a cracked head. Is it worth doing the heads, or should I get a new motor? I imagine it's pretty tired at 200k anyway.

I'm pretty sure thats a belt gone right there bud.

It does sound like it could be a timing belt, with a valve stuck open on each head. But, if after all this there is still spark, then that means the distributor is turning, so the belt isn't broken in that case. If the cam is turning and you still have 0 compression, then it's the head gasket or something worse.

Edited by msteel

You stated the left side of the engine has no compression and I assume you mean the driver side when you say that. I thought the left side cam drove the disty shaft but maybe I am mistaken. If it is the left side then the rotor isn't turning in the disty most likely. I would have to say for sure the timing belt has broke on that side. You couldn't have that low of compression without serious engine damage otherwise and it would be very 'obvious to the most causual observer'.

Cougar, you are right. The driver side timing belt does drive the distributor. It's not that often these blow HG's...non turbo's atleast. Before you start worrying about a motor, zero compression on one side is a pretty good start. Pull the timing belt covers off and see if one broke. It's not difficult, just a few 10mm's. And it's super common for this to happen, many of us run without timing covers for this reason :) Or, as stated, you can pull the disty cap off and see if the rotor is turning. If it isn't, then I'd say the driver side belt is off at the least.

So,

I pulled the distributor cap and it rotates just fine. It's pretty new as well.

I will pull the timing belt cover and have a look-see but head gasket or worse is sounding very likely. Also, last time it ran it blew white smoke pretty bad, and the coolant level is low after filling it up before testing began.

well i must say gray or white smoke is a good indication of blown head gasket. so it has been everytime i have had that happen. in everything i have had smoke like that. all were not subaru.:eek:

as for timing. if is not the headgasket and no cylinder pressure on one side i had that problem when i had timed the belts useing the zero degree mark on the flywheel. but which a little usmb readin on the manual. i went back and did it right.

i had that not starting problem, then when i did it right by the usmb manual it starts and runs. well it now starts but wont stay running. off by a tooth i think. :rolleyes: have not had time to get back to it.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally pulled the timing cover off the driver's side head, and lo and behold, the belt was not only off, but chewed up pretty good. New belt, tensioner springs, and the old gal started right up!

Thanks for the help.