Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Forester squirting tranny fluid

Checked a friends tranny fluid on his 02 Forester automatic.

Should of had a face shield on. Pulling the dip stick sent a quart or more fluid flying out.

Did not dig any deeper yet.

Is this supposed to be vented somewhere?

Ignoring the pressure seems will soon cause seal problems.

Any insight?

thanks

rick

My 4EAT in my loyale turbo was doing the same thing when I got it. The PO had piped the vent tubes for the trans directly onto the intake, so when I hit boost and created positive pressure in the intake, so therefore it squirted fluid out, but that was when I hit boost, not when it was just idling. I would check the vent hoses to see if they are clogged. There should be two of them, located on top of the trans, and they should just vent air. This is also assuming that the trans wasn't overfilled to begin with so make sure you check that first...

Oh, and you do know that you need to have the trans warmed up (drive 10+ miles) and engine idling when you check it, and that there are two marks on the stick? A cold level and a hot level. If it's squirting stuff out, it sounds like you have it running, but since it wasn't stated in your post, I just want to make sure the basics are covered and we aren't missing something simple :)

Edited by eulogious

The level is supposed to be checkes with the car running and transmission hot after goingthorugh all the gears. Fluid squirting out is not normal.

I wonder why the PO did that on your car with the vent tubes.

The tranny is always tough to fill on a car, overfilling is not unusual.

nipper

I wonder why the PO did that on your car with the vent tubes.

The tranny is always tough to fill on a car, overfilling is not unusual.

nipper

I don't really know, but I do that that their "nephew" pulled the engine and resealed it, so I am guessing he just wasn't familiar with the soob, so after he put it together, he saw two "vacuum lines", and then attached them where there was nothing. Or something like that. I also think that's part of the reason I got it for fairly cheap :rolleyes:

Fililng it is such a PITA. I had to go buy a funnel, and then fill it 1/4 quart at a time, or else I would overfill it. Took me about 5 times to get it correct :rolleyes: Luckily, at the time, it was squirting the fluid right back out, so I didn't damage it by overfilling it! :lol:

When I picked up my new Forester from the dealership back in 1999, the transmission squirted ATF all over the engine bay on the ride home. The diagnosis was "a blown seal", and the fix was replacement with a new transmission.

ewwwwwwwwwww brand new with a blown seal? I wonder what it really was internally. Maybe a line pressure seal?

nipper