Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 Brat GL clutch cable.

So my clutch peddle bracket folded and while getting it apart I see that my cable is pretty frayed and probably on its last legs.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I might find a new one? I've already tried Pep Boys, Napa, Subaru, and Rock Auto with no luck. Or maybe can I use one from a more recent car?

Any pics of the old cable ends? I believe there are several different endings on those cables that you can't even rely on engine size and year of car. I actually have to take my old cable in to the parts store and then we look at pics on their computer to try to find one that is what I need. And of course they rarely have it in stock and I get to wait for days.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

Here's the deal with the 1981 Brat clutch cable

It was only made for 1 year, and it was only made for 1 model in the lineup. It has a special end on it that no EA81 clutch cables match, and the way it mounts to the pedal is different from the EA81's as well. Basically it is a longer version of the EA71 Brat clutch cables.

The part is obsolete, and NO ONE carries it. So, what you have to do is modify the end of the pedal to accept the EA81 clutch cable. It's the only option, unless you find someone who has a NOS 1981 Brat clutch cable in storage somewhere.....

I ran into this problem doing a d/r swap in a Gen 1 Brat, and Im going to have to modify the pedal to accept the EA81 cable, which is the best option because those will be available for quite some time.

-Bill

That's what I'm thinking too. Just got home from the JY with a cable and peddle. It's looking like I can just cut off the post that the old cable connected to, grind flat the weld that attached the post, and drill a hole for the pin that works with the newer style cable.

I'll take pictures for anybody else who thinks they might also encounter this problem.

Here's the deal with the 1981 Brat clutch cable

It was only made for 1 year, and it was only made for 1 model in the lineup. It has a special end on it that no EA81 clutch cables match, and the way it mounts to the pedal is different from the EA81's as well. Basically it is a longer version of the EA71 Brat clutch cables.

The part is obsolete, and NO ONE carries it. So, what you have to do is modify the end of the pedal to accept the EA81 clutch cable. It's the only option, unless you find someone who has a NOS 1981 Brat clutch cable in storage somewhere.....

I ran into this problem doing a d/r swap in a Gen 1 Brat, and Im going to have to modify the pedal to accept the EA81 cable, which is the best option because those will be available for quite some time.

-Bill

Did not know that. That's pretty good info to know.

Not sure of how your cable attaches but my 80' BRAT is just ball swaged on the end of the cable through the bracket. Old Harley shops are good at remaking cables.

just a thought in and extreme case...? or to have a spare.

The 81 is different from that. The peddle has a 10mm or so post welded perpendicular and then the cable has an eye swaged onto the end that slips over the post.

The newer style peddle has a 6mm or so hole through it and the cable has a barrel fitting that is swaged on behind a stamped steel yoke, there's a pin that slides through both the peddle and yoke.

The peddle and bracket geometry is different too. Had I used the newer peddle, it would have crashed into my brake peddle. So I cut off the post and ground off the weld on the other side. Then I poked a 5/16" hole through the peddle, a little wiggling of the drill and it's a nice snug fit. I ended up using the metal sleeve from the end of the original cable housing to fit the new cable into the original clamp. I used a cutoff wheel to cut a slot into it so I could slide it over the cable.

I started taking pictures, but once I got into the car, I couldn't get any pictures that were meaningful. So I'm not putting up photos, but if anybody else needs to update the clutch cable in their 81 Brat, feel free to hit me up and I can answer any questions about how I did it.

I haven't driven it cause I also painted my front wheels and want the paint to dry completely before I put them back on. It felt just a tad squishy, so I'll come back with feedback on how it actually works once I do drive it.

The 81 is different from that. The peddle has a 10mm or so post welded perpendicular and then the cable has an eye swaged onto the end that slips over the post.

The newer style peddle has a 6mm or so hole through it and the cable has a barrel fitting that is swagged on behind a stamped steel yoke, there's a pin that slides through both the peddle and yoke.

It sounds like both ends of the cable are just swagged fittings then on the cable itself. :-\ If that is the case, the ends can be cut, the cable removed from the housing, new cable strung through the cleaned housing and back through the old brackets/yoke...etc. and new ends swagged.

It sounds like both ends of the cable are just swagged fittings then on the cable itself. :-\ If that is the case, the ends can be cut, the cable removed from the housing, new cable strung through the cleaned housing and back through the old brackets/yoke...etc. and new ends swagged.

The only problem is where are you going to find the pedal end new? Have you see the pedal end on a Gen 1 clutch cable? It's totally different from any ea81 or newer vehicle and I would imagine very hard to find a source for new ones.

-Bill

So I finally drove with the new clutch cable this evening and it works great. So if anybody else has an 81 Brat and needs to retrofit a newer cable in, hit me up and I'll give you the pictures I did take and tell you how I did the rest.

Now to fix the sloppy shift linkage. At least there's already a procedure for that...

The only problem is where are you going to find the pedal end new? Have you see the pedal end on a Gen 1 clutch cable? It's totally different from any ea81 or newer vehicle and I would imagine very hard to find a source for new ones.

-Bill

I got a good first lesson on clutch cables and pedal assy. yesterday with/from GeneralDisorder :lol:

I have a gen 1 clutch cable and pedal assy in my brat, pulled an EA81 with GD yesterday to upgrade...

My cable has ends that could be replaced however, GD informed me that there is more to the cables wearing than just the inner cable so...

please ignore my previous Post :o