Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a phase 2 2.2L intake fit on phase 1 engine?

Im trying to get a new intake manifold for my phase one 2.2L, I need one with EGR valve on it. I'm wondering what years would fit cause I know they changed the heads when the phase 2's came, but would this intake fit on a phase 1 engine?

Figured, they're probably prettty rare as tehy didnt put them in many cars I guess either so these 2.2s are rare after 96 it seems like anyways. So I guess anything from 95 to 98 would fit.

yes, but if you limit your search to 97 - 98 you probably will not come across one that does not have egr.

no egr on 97 -98 are really rare.

From my understanding the main engine change for the intake take was going from map sensors to maf sensors which completely changed the computer readings with air entering the engine. This changed in early 96 and on. So you have to get a phase one with the map sensor. Hope this helps

Greg

So now I have another question. I see that in 97 they made a change to the 2.2 intake manifolds. This is taken from wikipedia "Other Engine Modifications (2.2L 1997) The intake manifold has been reshaped to increase the airflow mass and speed, contributing to improved low and mid engine speed operation. Components located on the intake manifold have been relocated as compared to the 1996 models. EGR Solenoid, Purge Control Solenoid, etc." So apparently they changed the intakes in 97 and changed the locations of some stuff and the overall shape, but I'm assuming these should fit also?