Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale ea82 odd knock

So. I'm buying a mint! I mean mint 92 Loyale 1.8L AT, This car only has 147,000 on it, the engine was rebuilt about 20k ago due to our friendly headgaskets. My question is, and the rebuild was done right as well, when the car is at idle it sometimes has a knock for about 20 sec or less then just magically disappears:-\ well after some reading on the web I have found that the EA82 has a noisy heat shield that will sometimes make a rattle sound. I know it's not the HLA's because for a 92 this thing is no louder than my 97 Leg 2.2. Any ideas? again this is probably the nicest looking Loyale in the state of oregon, and no, no plans to lift it, but...Pug wheels are coming soon, should give more handling and about 1" or so more clearance.

Just a odd knock for about 10 seconds or so, it hardly ever happens but it seems to do it on an incline at idle, strangest thing ever...but oh well other than that it runs a+++++++ 147,000 on the OD and it great shape, once I get it I'll post the pics.

Yeah I was told to replace them (found them for 18.95 each) but I was also told that even replacing them and the oil pump & seals it would just do it again within 10k, and its really nothing to worry about, besides I heard a 06 outback today clackin up a storm(bad maintenace probably) but its no biggie my 97 clacks now and then too.

If the motor is otherwise sound, yes it will easily make another 100k with ticking lifters. But......

Here's my concern's:

1. Why did it need to be "rebuilt" at less than 150k? Only a serious lack of maintenance or just plain stupidity could lead to it needing that level of repair.

2. What level of "rebuild" was performed? I mean - was it down to the rings and rod bearings for this "rebuild" or is it simply a gasket-slap job that they are calling a "rebuild". There are many levels in-between, but often people will say they "rebuilt" something when really all they did was replace some popped head gaskets and maybe lap the valves/mill the heads. That's not a rebuild in my opinion.

3. If it truely was "rebuilt" down to the level of splitting the case, etc - why were the lifters not checked carefully and/or replaced out of general principle? And if that's the case that it was torn down to the crank, what else was overlooked and how good of job was done on what *was* fixed? If it was poorly done, the lifters are the least of your worries as something else will surely claim the engine long before valve lash becomes a serious problem.

So anyway - that's my take on your situation. If it were me I would at least remove the oil pump and check for wear - replace if worn and reseal if not - pull the cam towers and see if the o-rings were replaced and if they were did they use the correct OEM o-ring that has metal reinforcing? Then I would replace the lifters - I think it's "Mitzpah" that does EA82 lifters really cheap on exchange - do a search.

As for how much work is involved - it's a complete timing belt job. Typically 4 to 6 hours if you have done one before - give it a weekend if you haven't.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

It was done by a mechanic who works on Soobies, the head gaskets went around 130,000k or so, so that's was the reason for the top half rebuild, nothing deeper than that was done, new head gaskets,valve cover gaskets, cam seals main seals, thermostat and housing, hoses,timing belts. I think I may try a little MMO in it first, it worked for my 97 ej22 at 120k it definately was a lot quieter after I used it for oh say 100k then did the oil change, it has 135k on it now and really is fairly quiet, I think there is probably just some gunk built up inside the lifters, I'm gonna try cleaning the entire system out and see if that helps it out. Then a fresh Purolator oil filter, Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30 and see if that does the trick, It did it for my 97 so maybe it may do it for the 92 ea82. I am really not too worried about it, I'm sure with the MMO it will help a little over time, plus just clean oil too. NEVER USE SEAFOAM!! BAD BAD BAD that stuff likes to eat seals and gaskets!!!! and rod bearings!!!! :banghead:

I prefer Rislone over MMO. Just a preference thing - it has worked better/more often for cleaning up gunked up engines for me. But I usually just start replacing a quart of the engine oil with ATF as it's cheaper and does about the same thing. Do that and change the oil every 1000 half a dozen times and it usually starts to clean things up pretty good.

Sometimes I'll opt for the Rislone the first couple times as it seems a bit better at quieting lifters and such.

GD