Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Cylinder Head Question

I am in the process of removing the cylinder heads on my 84 GL and was wondering if I should cover the tops of the cylinders with anything once I get the heads removed or if they would be ok. The engine is still in the car in my garage. I know this might be a pretty straight forward question but just don't want to run into any issues once they are replaced.

If your talking keeping dust and foreign things from dropping in... not many open holes on Horizontal motor...

.... when I had Ford motor opened up (lots of open vertical holes for things to drop into-stupid v-motors) I used "press & Seal" seran wrap. It made a great protective covering when working above with tools or walking away from motor for the night.... could be used on any opening...

If a concern of potential surface contamination I wipe sealing surfaces with Alcohal to assure no residue remains.

my .02 cents.

Edited by Indrid cold

I am in the process of removing the cylinder heads on my 84 GL ... The engine is still in the car in my garage.

You'll be removing the engine from the car to pull the heads off anyways, the EA81 uses head studs instead of bolts, you do not have clearance to pull the head in the car. Even on later motors with head bolts, you don't even have room to pull all the bolts out with the engine in the car. You can leave the bolts hanging in the head, but still...tight clearance.

~Erik~