Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was hoping to install and torque the cam pullies, while the heads are off.

How do you all recommend holding the pulley? the right one is soild plastic I think. Can the cam be held from the back side with a pin spanner wrench>

It is a lot of torque. Something like 50 pounds.

On the camshaft there is a hex that can be used to hold the cam while you torque the bolt. You can also wrap a piece of the old belt around the cam sprocket and hold it with a pair of vice grips.

Tried using the old belt to get it off, It tore,

I'll look for that part of the cam to put a wrench on, did not see it before,

Which engine are we talking about?

phase I DOHC 2.5 there is a hex on the Cam to hold.

phase I SOHC 2.2 there is not, you have to use an old belt, or a cam holder.

IIRC all the phase II engines do not have the hex either, old belt or Cam holder.

I use a strap wrench - they are about $25 at home depot. Go to the plumbing section - look for the Rigid tools. They make a strap wrench with a soft woven nylon strap. They work quite well for stuff like this - also stubborn oil filters, etc.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=strap+wrench&cid=14993230865432261642&sa=title#p

As a last resort if the strap wrench is slipping too much you can move up to a chain wrench and wrap the pulley in an old section of belt. There isn't much that you can't turn with a chain wrench, a cheater pipe, and a torch :grin:. Useful to own.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=chain+wrench&oe=UTF-8&cid=17671462340384902247&sa=title#p

GD