Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 OBW tranny and Trans X product

Yesterday I drained the auto trans fluid from the pan and installed a quart of the Trans X non slip product and three and a half quarts of Subi trans fluid. Did not install a new filter as that was changed 5000 miles ago and it is a factory filter.

Drove around the block afterwards. Today my wife got into the car, short warm up (probaby 35 outside), and the trans still acted up: Slow shifting and would not shift out of first in "D" or even manual.:-\

Does anyone have experience with how long it takes the Trans X product to work its magic on the seals?

Thanks!

the success that subie drivers have had with transx is generally limited to the 99, maybe 00, auto trans.

if it did not help your situation then your trans trouble is different than what the 99 auto trans have. i don't know enough about the inner workings to suggest what the trouble may be but if i were you i'd start saving for a used trans.

how many miles?

Does it always not shift out of first until things warm up, or is it only in colder ambient temperatures?

Only when it's cold, I think. The problem started last November when it started getting down to freezing up here in the mountains overnight. Tranny slipped a bit a few times. So, we took it to a local mechanic who works on a lot of Subis up here and had him change the tranny fluid and filter.

When I picked the car up, it would not shift out of first. That has been happening since then unless the car is allowed to warm up really well first thing in the morning. Then, it slips a bit the first few shifts and then it functions just fine in all gears.

The local guy could not figure it out. The dealer wants $4K for a new transmission install but didn't say what the problem is. I find it odd that it has worked for about 5000 miles over the past winter if it needs replacement.

Local guy says its probably seals and recommends used tranny install.

I got on this board and X Transmission anti-slip product was recommended. So, I drained the pan and put in a quart of X Transmission and 2 1/2 quarts of factory Subi trans fluid.

Still stuck in first the first morning my wife tried to drive it without an extended warm up. Later was fine after a long warm up.

So, I am wondering how long the X Transmission stuff takes to work on the seals.

Does the '05 have the external spin-on transmission filter?

if so, did your mech put on a Subaru OEM transmission filter or one from the parts store?

Read this: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23762&highlight=filter

It has a remote trans filter in the left wheel well area--behind the battery. I checked and it is a factory filter. Since it was just changed about 5K miles ago, I did not change it the other day.

Are you sure the transmission is just getting stuck in 1st gear only? The transmission is designed not to shift into overdrive until the transmission temp is above a certain spot.

It's possible a temp sensor in the transmission may be out and causing some of the issues. A subaru dealership should be able to hook up to the computer and tell you what they see. It however doesn't sound like your local dealership is interested in troubleshooting.

San Bernardino Subaru's service department is not all that helpful, frankly. Half the time I go in there for a part, they order the wrong one. And they are always suggesting stuff that I am not sure needs to be done.

Is the temperature sensor external? Would it be something easy to replace? If so, I can do it myself.

Heck, if the thing needs a new tranny, I'll get a used one and put it in myself, it can't be that tough. I've changed a few trannys in my time.

Thanks!

"So, I drained the pan and put in a quart of X Transmission and 2 1/2 quarts of factory Subi trans fluid"

that means you are about 3-4 quarts low i believe.

drain and fill is around 5-7 qts. you only put in 3.5 qts. not gonna work right.

better check the manual for fluid capacity.

but then your post #1 says "Yesterday I drained the auto trans fluid from the pan and installed a quart of the Trans X non slip product and three and a half quarts of Subi trans fluid. Did not install a new filter as that was changed 5000 miles ago and it is a factory filter."

again, you are not adding enough ATF.

Edited by bheinen74

Are you checking the level with the engine running, and after you've cycled the gear selector from park to 1 and then back to park?

The amount that is drained out really depends. On older AT's where the drain back valves are worn, you will get more transmission fluid draining out of the trans than newer AT's where some fluid remains in the torque converter. I can see about 4-5 qts coming out on a typical drain and refill.

Edited by Legacy777

I checked with motor running and hot and shifted from park to drive, to reverse, back to drive and then park. Not that much fluid came out of the pan--not more than when I change the oil, which is about 4 quarts. I was kind of surprised at how little actually came out, I expected a bit more.

Sounds like you're checking the level properly.

Not sure where this takes you. I still think it'd be a good to put a diagnostic computer on it to see what's going on when the problem occurs, but if you don't have a good Subaru dealer, then that may be kind of difficult.

I wrote the original post on adding Trans-X to 99 and 00 models, when the trany had delayed shift from R to D. Trans-X would improve the R to D shifting within 10 minutes of driving. The amount added was only a pint, not a quart. In my opinion a quart is too much to add to a Subie AT.

Suggest you drain out some of the Trans-X, and add regular ATF. You may have not added enough ATF on your last change. Typically you can only drain 4 of the 8 quarts in the system.

I wrote the original post on adding Trans-X to 99 and 00 models, when the trany had delayed shift from R to D. Trans-X would improve the R to D shifting within 10 minutes of driving. The amount added was only a pint, not a quart. In my opinion a quart is too much to add to a Subie AT.

Suggest you drain out some of the Trans-X, and add regular ATF. You may have not added enough ATF on your last change. Typically you can only drain 4 of the 8 quarts in the system.

the turbo 4eat tranny version, holds 12 quarts total.....just an fyi.

whereas the others hold 8qt.

the turbo 4eat tranny version, holds 12 quarts total.....just an fyi.

whereas the others hold 8qt.

Huh?

Which turbo? EA82? EJ22? WRX?

And where are you getting this FYI, because it doesn't jive with my books or my experience.

They all (4EATs) share a common case from 89-98. They all use 11.8 quarts.

The 99-200x use a slightly smaller case which holds about 9.5 quarts

his 05 trany is the later.