Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Separating Engine and Transmission

In the middle of replacing the headgaskets, we decided to go ahead and replace the clutch too. I've got this far, after taking off the top two bolts and nuts, and the bottom two nuts, the engine and transmission dont seem to want to split. Any advise or tips, did I forget to unbolt something else? Thanks in advance!

DSCN2027.jpg

DSCN2029.jpg

At this point, stepping on the clutch a few times has always worked for me. If you've taken the tranny support bolts off, put them back on. Engine and tranny like to be at the same level when coming apart and going back together. The easiest way to change the clutch is to pull the engine. With it stripped down as it is, you and a friend should easily be able to lift it out. You'll want to jack up the tranny a bit to get the engine mounts out of their seat under the engine.

It'll clean up, I hope... Actually its not even my car, my girlfriends dad asked me to work on it for him and I agreed. The cylinder heads pressure tested fine so we're gonna go through with it, had they not we probably would have sold it or started looking into an engine swap.

There are little guide pins that align the trans and engine together. They really like to jam themselves tight over time especially if the motor and tranny have never been separated. The best way i have found to separate a trans and engine is to work around it with a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Just tap the screwdriver in between the engine and trans all around until it frees itself from the pins. Then you should be able to pull them apart (maybe with a bit of wiggling still).

put a jack under the transmission to raise the motor up out of the crossmemer. do the same when you reinsall the motor.

use a pry bar and gently wiggle the motor away, if you already have a gap.

a putty knife and a flat screwdriver work to start a gap to gey your bar in there.