Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hate my EA82, want to swap in EA81

P K

Hello All,

I know this has been done before, (Chef Tim for one).

I have a pristine Loyale... except for the EA82 POS, and want to install an EA81 for a reliable DD. (I don't care about the power loss, nor EJ22 popularity, as I have other toys to satify cravings)

I read that the EA82 SPFI manifold will bolt to the EA81 as well. Would I be able to install an EA81 longblock, and hook up all the fuel (manifold) and emission equipment, catalytic Y-pipe, etc from the Loyale to pass smog*?

* Basically > only the block would be changed, keeping the fuel injection, egr, emission hoses, etc etc etc.

Plausible? Problems?

thanks, P K

Edited by P K

Easy swap, just follow GD's write up on ea81 spfi conversion, and I sell a kit that let's you use the stock ea82 power steering pump on an ea81 with spfi or weber carb, it's $60 plus shipping, pm me if you are interested.

Swap the ea82 flywheel onto the ea81 motor too and make new timing marks so you can properly time it.

-Bill

Just did this swap on Son's '88 Wagon. Tried the SPFI on the EA81, but there's wiring issues in the harness, so it's sporting the Weber again for now.

I adapted the EA82 PS pump bracket to fit the EA81, still need to finalize the belt tensioner, but it's drivable as is. In doing so, I had to mount an idler pulley to keep the Alt/WP belt from rubbing on the PS bracket. Also had to place an 1/8" shim behind the drive pulley for the pump, so that the pulleys are aligned properly.

PO removed all of the AC stuff before I got the Wagon. I've replaced most of it, but haven't attempted the compressor mounting yet. I need to compare the '85 BRAT's AC mounting to see what I can do to mount one onto this engine.

It's possible, that when I do get the compressor mounted, I won't need my "rigged" PS belt tensioner, as the belt is running in the same crank pulley as the compressors belt would be in. Don't know...

i have done the swap.

you will have to reorient or eliminate the egr where it interferes with the bellhousing.

you will have to flip the gear on the distributor and extend the pigtail. you might have to cut a tab off the disty and clock it in a manner that fits, and set the rotor to whichever terminal will correspond to #1 after shoving the whole works together.

the ea82 exhaust pipe will fit the same. the ea82 pipe is longer at the flanges, you can remove the iron backfire valve plates from the ea81 exhaust ports if you like, but it's not necessary.

use ea82 flywheel or flexplate and the ea81 bolts. the timing marks are all different between ea81 and ea82 by some 30 deg, make sure you un derstand how to find TDC or to properly transfer the timing marks between flywheels.

an ea82 water pump will bolt onto the ea81 engine, allowing you to use the ea82 radiator, and the hoses will match the spfi intake.

you can set up and bolt on all of the ea82 alt, ps, and ac. some bolt holes on the block are there, some are not, but enough to hold it together. you might have to be clever to mount the ac bracket.

using ea82 ancillaries and ea82 water pump will match the pulleys between themselves, but the ea81 crank pulley groove will be about half a belt's width too shallow, but it can work. you can do this if you are scarce with ea81 brackets and pumps.

i am recalling this form memory on a swap i did at least 8 years ago.

i have done enough ea82 swaps into ea81 cars using ea82 or ea81 intakes(carb)

i have done the swap.

you will have to reorient or eliminate the egr where it interferes with the bellhousing.

you will have to flip the gear on the distributor and extend the pigtail. you might have to cut a tab off the disty and clock it in a manner that fits, and set the rotor to whichever terminal will correspond to #1 after shoving the whole works together.

I didn't have to modify my EGR at all.

Biggest thing is the EA82 disty has to be modified to fit in the EA81.

Needs to have the gear knocked off the bottom, and have the EA81 drive gear fitted (requires drilling a new roll pin hole, drill press recommended)

then one ear needs ground off and the remaining hole needs to be enlarged to the inside to match the EA81 hold down bolt.

The clip on the bottom that holds the wires needs to have one bolt removed, rotated a hair, and then be peened down. this is so the wires don't get pinched under the disty body.

If he has a late EA81 (83 or 84+) with the larger (225mm) flywheel he can use that flywheel and bolt the EA82 5spd clutch right onto it. No need to transfer timing marks.