Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noise from back of motor/transmission?

if anyone could give me a few suggestions as to this problem i would be much appreciated, i am fairly mechanically inclinded but this is my first subaru, and there engines are nothing to what i have ever owned in the past.

i recently picked up a 96 legacy outback with a 2.5L ej25d automatic, i got it really cheap for a fixer upper, body is in absolutly great shape and i felt i could be up to the challenge of learning a new vehicle,

i have a noise coming from somewhere between the motor and the transmission. it kind of sounds similar to a sound ive heard on other vehicles when a pulley bearing or something is going, its like a high pitch whining, the sound comes and goes, and varies with engine rpm, sound starts right when i start the car, and seems to cut in and out at random times from there, i almost thought that maybe it could of been the starter because it seems to come right from that vicinity of the motor, and the sounds is like maybe it could be small electricall motor spining, my first thinking was that maybe the starter wasnt fully disengaging from the timing wheel completly, but then my second thought was that even if it wasnt that when the sound cuts out it would probably really clan when the sound starts back up and it doesnt, so i dont know does anyone know if this could be a possibility? or should i maybe be looking around the driveplate or flywheel or torque converter? but then again this sound is present whether im in park reverse neutral or drive, the sound can come and go as i sit still and rev the motor as well as while im driving. im pretty inexperienced with auto transmissions to, ive always had a manual, but my general thinking is it really shouldnt be any of these because when its in neutral and park nothing is engaged.

could this be the starter somehow? or should i be ready to pull this in the garage and drop the transmission and start looking around? any advise before i have to pull this inside would be wonderful. thankyou

Whining from an automatic near the bell housing... makes me think the transmission fluid pump is shot. They can make some awful racket when they go bad. Generally the transmission will be slow to engage or will slip when the pump goes bad. Eventually it will just quit working altogether.

Whining from an automatic near the bell housing... makes me think the transmission fluid pump is shot. They can make some awful racket when they go bad. Generally the transmission will be slow to engage or will slip when the pump goes bad. Eventually it will just quit working altogether.

i hate to sound like an idiot but where is this pump?

Inside the transmission. Transmissions will also whine when low on ATF. Invest is a stethoscope and maybe you can pinpoint the source of the noise.

ha funny you should mention the scope, my mother is a nurse i was actually outside earlier. and sadly it does sound like it is coming from somewhere in the bell housing, transfluid looks fine

is this pump accessible once i pull the tranny pan out or to check and fix this do i need to pull the entire trans out?

The pump might as well not be serviceable on these. You have split the trans case to get at it. If that is the case you just get a new (to you) transmission from a junkyard and drop it in.

You did check the fluid level on the drivers side transmission dipstick correct? Engine and trans warm, running in park, after shifting through all gears?

The passenger side dipstick is gear oil for the front differential.

You could possibly try a fluid change, but whether that will fix the problem or not is hard to say. These pumps work similarly to a power steering pump (same damn thing really, just a little bigger). If air gets in them they will whine so fluid level is essential, as is using the proper fluid, as well as fluid condition. Old fluid may cavitate or foam up easier than new fluid simply because it's degraded past it's service life. (which is part of the reason there is a service life to any fluid)

Probably not bad for a pre-pulled part. How long is the warranty period?

If you can get one from a place where you pull it yourself they're usually about 100 - 300 depending on the market. I think it's $175 with a $25 core charge for an auto trans at the place I regularly go to. And they even offer a 30 day warranty.