Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 GL D/R Wagon

Looks like I'm getting my new toy, but I'm playing Satan's own hand at Whist trying to get my hands on a trailer out here. I need to drive it 120 miles back to my house, with a reportedly bad throwout bearing; I have not heard it, so I don't know how bad it is, nor if it's actually the T/O or not.

Exactly how much damage can a bad throwout bearing do on one of these? If it will just eventually seize, then I can call a towtruck once I'm on my way. If it will score/screw or otherwise diddle with my transmission seals/input shaft, I won't chance it.

Advice?

hi,

not advise, but i have done this process with a broken clutch cable which is like a bad T-O bearing in that you cannot use the clutch. if it starts easy and runs ok you can start it in 1st and just shift without pushing the clutch at all, you have to be careful and not force it , but get the rpm's matching the speed and it slips right in the next gear,, you can downshift this way too, just have to get your rpms right and it will slip right in. shift to nutural if you have to stop, turn it off and start it in 1st again and so on. its a pain but it can get you there being careful. anyone to follow along to keep traffic off of you on the way, that helps in the stress department.

When it seizes it will wear through the pressure plate fingers.

Not a big deal - just drive it without using the clutch. Start it up - get it warm, and then just kill it at lights and start it in 1st gear. You don't need the clutch to shift - just rev-match it going into each gear. When down shifiting you put in neutral, rev it up just a bit past where the gear will land, then stick it in gear as it drops past the correct RPM. Up-shifting is easy - just shift but slow down a bit. It will naturally drop in RPM's when you put in neutral and as it passes the right RPM for the gear you just drop it in.

Once you get it to the freeway you are golden. People might honk and give you the finger a couple times but it's totally doable. I've done it a couple times.

A good skill to have - clutch cables break, T/O's wear out - it happens. Doesn't stop me from getting where I have to go.

Rick

Edited by GeneralDisorder

General D - that is EXACTLY what I needed to know. My dad taught me to drive a stick on a 1953 Mercury, and for a long time I didn't use my clutch at all, except at stoplights. I can do the rpm shift thing no worries, I just didn't want the bearing to have some weird side effect like scoring the input shaft or some other nonsense.

NOW I just need to find a ride up to Casper. And of course, it's snowing. Sigh.

GD - thanks for the shifting w/o a clutch pointer. I knew it was do-able but never had it explained like that. I'll keep that in mind for next time a clutch cable breaks or something and I don't want to call AAA.

Although I must say we have AAA Premium - 100 mile tow and it really helps alot - up to 8 tows a yr (2 members) for a total of only $129.

I had to drive my legacy quite a ways with a snapped clutch cable, just be smart about when you do it. Obviously rush hour is a bad time... I don't know if you'll be driving on back roads, highways, through cities, or whatever. But if it's generally really busy 3am is always a good time when not many people are out...

And about what happens if your TOB grenades, it causes a mess. It can do anywhere from just seize up to buggering up the input shaft, messing up the transmission, etc. TOB is something you really don't want to have break. I've seen some pretty catastrophic pictures of the damage.