Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy wagon - part out vs sell as it?

It has that crank pulley keyway loose, lacks power at low speeds and gets horrible MPG, about 13. So it needs work in that area, plus the Timing belt is way overdue and looks in bad shape.

How much can I sell it for vs how much can I part it out for? I don't really want to get involved with shipping as most of the stuff is either heavy and bulky and expensive to ship. Is there enough local market in Maryland (DC area) to part it out to?

The enigne is solid otherwise, good compression, the head gasket is fine, etc.

left1.jpg

odo1.jpg

engine0.jpg

Looks like a solid car - just fix the crank nose, do a timing belt job on it and sell it. Timing belt parts are pretty cheap. Crank nose can be welded if it's really bad and the pulley replaced. That's fairly low mileage and it doesn't look rotted out.

I wouldn't part it - but that's me.

I just sold a '95 - same color, comparable miles (161k). After doing some maintenance like the timing belt, front axles, and an ABS sensor, O2 sensor etc. Sold it for $2700. No way you could get that parting it out. Being a '98 - I would do the work and sell that for $3500 - and probably have people knocking down my door to get it too.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I am kind of fed up with low options of the Brighton wagon, no power anything, no tach, I really want a manual tranny now.

If the engine can be salvaged, wouldn't it be better to yank the engine and put it in a low mileage 98 Legacy that needs an engine, and part out the rest.

Possible to put that 2.2L into something like this, 98 Outback with blown 2.5L:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Outback-Wagon-runs-and-drives-needs-repair-AS-IS-/290430410280?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item439f005e28

Problem is, I don't know how to fix it. I was going to do the Timing belt and the water pump but got overwhelmed, plus I think it was me who broke it in the first place.

I tried to loosen the crank pulley bolt, couldn't, gave up on it and then shortly after that, it disintegrated to the condition that it's in now. It ran well before I touched it. So I am not sure it's the fault of the car.

If it were me, I would replace the T-belt, fix the key, prolly plug wires and plugs (if needed) and sell it. That should not cost much. Maybe the bad T-belt has jumped a tooth or two to give you poor performance and poor gas mileage. You would be $$ ahead, and could apply that money towards a better Leggie Wagon.

I am in Rockville, MD.

Well, how much do you think is a reasonable price for this? I would think somewhere between 600-900. I can offer a reasonable price but don't want to give it away either.

There are some new parts in it, like radiator and the windshield. Plus keep in mind it's in running condition. I have been driving it this week without issues. Put the key in and drive.

I'll let him know about it. He's a co-worker who flips cars like this on a pretty regular basis. (fix and sell) Price range sounds good, I would think somewhere around 750 - 1,000 depending on body condition.

Any major body damage? Looks like a bit of ripple on the left front fender, and maybe the rear quarter? I don't see any rust, but I can't see underneath. How about interior? Any cracks in the dash, rips in the seats or carpet?

What shape are the tires in? Brakes? Axle boots ok? Any problems with the transmission? (torque bind)

More than likely he would just trailer it back, but being driveable is certainly a plus. I'll ask him about it and let you know something tomorrow evening.

Cosmetically it's so-so. The front bumper is missing some paint, the rear had a minor fender bender (2mph) and is misaligned in places about 1/4 inch.

the seats are fine. Carpet could use cleaning.

No rust. Virginia car.

Rear brakes new, front OK. Axles seem fine. I think 2 of the tires are almost new. It passed inspection last year without issues.

The torque bind issue has been fixed.

In another time and place I would fix it, but I just don't have the capacity to engage in yet another project.

Well I tried for ya, but he said MD was just a little too far to go. His truck apparently only gets about 10mpg (old truck) which would make his fuel cost just to get the car about $150, possibly more, at current prices. :eek: I did tell him it was drive able, but with the loose crank pulley, probably not ~175 mile trip worthy.

To be honest if I had the money right now I'd take it off your hands. I keep finding these things in decent shape for low $$$ that would make perfect flippers if I only had the budget.

Put it on the DC craigslist I'm sure you can find someone to give you some cash for it.

I drive it 45 miles every day. The highway is the easy part, once you hit 70 or 80, it just keeps on going. Once warmed up, it's fine in the city too.

It will burn through the entire gas tank during that 175 miles though.

It's on DC craigslist but only getting tire kickers thus far, and only for parts. I said, I am not ready to part it out yet.