Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$40 MP3 Head Unit - Perfect Fit

This thing is no high end stereo but it was much better than what I had, and at $39.99 how can you go wrong. It sounds okay with the stock speakers. The screw holes on the sides allowed it to be mounted in the stock brackets. It seems to have the exact same dimensions as the stock radio. I cut the harness off of the stock radio to use for splicing onto. The wire colors were different but you can reference to the wire colors on the back of the dash harness. I also had to file a small bit off of the sides of the bezel to fit around the new HU. Found this at WallyWorld.

Here is the color chart I used:

Memory (+12v Constant) Red/Green

Ignition (+12v Switched) Blue/Yellow

Ground (-) Black

Illumination

Dimmer

Power Antenna Red/White

Left Front Speaker (+) Yellow

Left Front Speaker (-) Blue/Red

Right Front Speaker (+) White

Right Front Speaker (-) Blue/Black

Left Rear Speaker (+) Yellow/White

Left Rear Speaker (-) Blue/Red

Right Rear Speaker (+) White/Blue

Right Rear Speaker (-) Blue/Black

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xr4110.php

photo-148.jpg

photo-147.jpg

photo-146.jpg

Here is the color chart I used:

Memory (+12v Constant) Red/Green

Ignition (+12v Switched) Blue/Yellow

Ground (-) Black

Illumination

Dimmer

Power Antenna Red/White

Left Front Speaker (+) Yellow

Left Front Speaker (-) Blue/Red

Right Front Speaker (+) White

Right Front Speaker (-) Blue/Black

Left Rear Speaker (+) Yellow/White

Left Rear Speaker (-) Blue/Red

Right Rear Speaker (+) White/Blue

Right Rear Speaker (-) Blue/Black

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xr4110.php

Did you seperate the front and rear Grounds?

Factory there are only two ground wires, and the speakers on each side share them. I know many Aftermarket radios are not happy wired this way.

I've always run new speaker wires to the connectors at the kick panel for the front door speakers, and then hooked the rear speakers up in the dash to the factory wires.

I'm thinking that looks small engouh to fit into an EA81 body car, without a slant console.

:banana:

You can fit a fairly big stereo into an EA81 center console without a slant console or one of those crazy install kits that stick out way far. If u wanna know more PM me i wont clog his thread anymore with this.

Good luck with the sale.

How did the test run go? are you loading your music on sd cards? It looks like you could plug a 8 gig usb stick into it and play , is that correct? Any big let downs on it? I may go this route as I have had sand and rain ruin several head units in my samurai.

I put one of these in recently.

The buttons have a cheep feel, and there is no illumination dimmer. I'm using it with a 4 gig usb stick, haven't tried anything else. No distortion at max volume, but it could go a little louder. Good enough.

Did you seperate the front and rear Grounds?

Factory there are only two ground wires, and the speakers on each side share them. I know many Aftermarket radios are not happy wired this way.

I've always run new speaker wires to the connectors at the kick panel for the front door speakers, and then hooked the rear speakers up in the dash to the factory wires.

I left the grounds for the rear speakers just hanging off the HU. I used my multimeter and got continuity through all the speaker grounds on the HU to the case so I was not worried.

How did the test run go? are you loading your music on sd cards? It looks like you could plug a 8 gig usb stick into it and play , is that correct? Any big let downs on it? I may go this route as I have had sand and rain ruin several head units in my samurai.

So far I have not been let down, but I did not have high expectations. I was just looking for a basic replacement for the AM/FM stock radio. I would like it better if it would display more than just a track number and folder number. And yes, there is no dimmer. I am using the SD card with MP3s on it.

Edited by Trevor

I left the grounds for the rear speakers just hanging off the HU. I used my multimeter and got continuity through all the speaker grounds on the HU to the case so I was not worried.

That may be part of why you have poor sound levels (halfing the resistance on the Right and Left Channels?)

Also it may not be good for the electronics in the head unit

Again, the resistance change, and lack of diodes on the + wires would mean that effectively the Front and Rear + wires are bridged into the same circuit through the speakers.

Oh and you should test the Fade front to back. I bet it doesn't work :wink:

There is a sticky or a page in the USRM about this. Search "stereo installation"

Edited by Gloyale

That may be part of why you have poor sound levels (halfing the resistance on the Right and Left Channels?)

Also it may not be good for the electronics in the head unit

Again, the resistance change, and lack of diodes on the + wires would mean that effectively the Front and Rear + wires are bridged into the same circuit through the speakers.

Oh and you should test the Fade front to back. I bet it doesn't work :wink:

There is a sticky or a page in the USRM about this. Search "stereo installation"

Normally I would not mix grounds because I know better, but even if I have continuity across all the negatives without speakers connected, you feel this can still be an issue? Also to clarify, my sound levels are not poor and I just verified the fade/balance are working.

Edited by Trevor

You can fit a fairly big stereo into an EA81 center console without a slant console or one of those crazy install kits that stick out way far. If u wanna know more PM me i wont clog his thread anymore with this.

That method (putting it below the old stereo location) is not as easy on the 4WD's. The console doesn't have as much room in it. You have to space the deck out about 3/4" to make it work.

GD

Normally I would not mix grounds because I know better, but even if I have continuity across all the negatives without speakers connected, you feel this can still be an issue? Also to clarify, my sound levels are not poor and I just verified the fade/balance are working.

I've seen it kill several improperly installed head units in subarus. Ussually takes anywhere from a week to about 3months.

Those were high end units.

It may be that since this is kinduv a "low end" unit, it may have simplified circuitry and common grounds anyhow so you might get lucky.

Still pretty nice. I really think I am gonna get one of these for my 84 GL.

That method (putting it below the old stereo location) is not as easy on the 4WD's. The console doesn't have as much room in it. You have to space the deck out about 3/4" to make it work.

GD

Yeah, my 84 has a stereo installed there already. It sucks.

It overlaps too close to my Power mirror switch, and it leaves the big ugly old stereo opening above it, and eliminates the very nifty little tray.

I want to get one of those small little MP3 stereos, and a new, unmodified console to install it in.

You can install the tray where the original stereo was located. And one of these slim units would fit nicely below it without a spacer on the 4WD's - though that wouldn't help you power window switch issue unless you moved it.

GD

I think one of these little units will fit where the original stereo goes. Then the tray, the ash tray (phone holder, I don't smoke) and the PW switch can all stay right where they ought to be.

• 3 months later...

I just ordered one of these off Amazon to put in my '83 Hatch. So we'll see just how well they fit an EA81 (should be awesome being only 4" deep). I'm going to probably be putting it where the map pocket is located and putting the pocket where the old two-knob stereo was.

Stay tuned for my install pics. :)

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder