Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 won't idle :o

I have a Leone '86 with the EA82. I have had a problem with the Hitachi carburetor with manual choke. It runs fine but it won't idle. I've tried carb cleaner, alot of it, but it didn't do any good. At one time or another I've had this problem with all of my previous EA82s. Usually this problem goes away in a few miles, but not this time. What is causing this?

Does it have electric solonoids on the carb? One is a fuel shut off that only opens when voltage is applied, I think there's an idle mixture one too? I can't remember. Either way, make sure 12 volts is present, if not, trace the wires to find the problem. I that's not it, you may have to pull the carb, and tear it down to clean it out, the idle circuit could be plugged.

Does it have electric solonoids on the carb? One is a fuel shut off that only opens when voltage is applied, I think there's an idle mixture one too? I can't remember. Either way, make sure 12 volts is present, if not, trace the wires to find the problem. I that's not it, you may have to pull the carb, and tear it down to clean it out, the idle circuit could be plugged.

ok this is my car he´s talking about,

the thing is that it runs fine except the idle and now i´ve beens driving it around town today and all of a sudden the idle pics up and it runs just like it did back in 1986,

then i drive it some more, everything still normal,

then i come to a stop sign, take my foot of the gas and disengage the clutch AND THEN the crappy rpm gauge drops to zero and i have my idle problem again.

happened 5-6 times today,

i have a basic knowledge of how everything works in a car, BUT i have no idea how to properly clean out a carb,

took one spare hitachi apart once and it ended up in the trash

took one spare hitachi apart once and it ended up in the trash
that's where they belong...well maybe the scrap yard has less of a carbon footprint?:lol:

you're likely going to need to revisit cleaning a carb or possibly rebuilding it. seems obvious you need to focus on whatever regulates the idle.

that's where they belong...well maybe the scrap yard has less of a carbon footprint?:lol:

you're likely going to need to revisit cleaning a carb or possibly rebuilding it. seems obvious you need to focus on whatever regulates the idle.

i just thought of a solution,

EJ25 :grin:

put a weber 33-36 carb on it. will run better more power and problem solved. I got one from a member with adapter very reasonable.

run search for weber carb, there should be some good writeups on conversion.

might be something as simple at the carb to manifold gasket. have you sprayed it with brake cleaner or something to detect a vacuum leak?

tried that too but i am sure it is a mechanical problem because one minute its perfectly fine, the other it´s perfectly fine except it wont idle and my exhaust wont pop when i let of the gas,

That problem really sounds like a flaky connection on the idle solenoid. Does it have one on your model? Or was that a North America only item?

It could be crap in the float bowl, perhaps. If it has no solenoid, then try cleaning the float bowl. It is a lot less work than tearing into the whole carb.

OK, I just rebuilt my Hitachi on my EA82. It's really not bad. I took everything out and cleaned it, one thing at a time. Take 1 jet out at a time, clean it, spray carb cleaner through the holes, and when you replace the accelerator pump, DONT forget to put the little ball bearing (check valve) in!!!! I also replaced the O rings on the venturis, (sounds scary but really not) and I took out what I think was the idle solenoid, it was full of corrosion, cleaned, let dry and put back in carb. It runs like a whole new car! I also shortened my throttle return spring, it wasn't tight enough and would idle up when I took my foot off the throttle, or pushed in the clutch. I'd be happy to walk you through a rebuild, I think it will fix your issues...Oh, I also had a bad base gasket...

OK, I just rebuilt my Hitachi on my EA82. It's really not bad. I took everything out and cleaned it, one thing at a time. Take 1 jet out at a time, clean it, spray carb cleaner through the holes, and when you replace the accelerator pump, DONT forget to put the little ball bearing (check valve) in!!!! I also replaced the O rings on the venturis, (sounds scary but really not) and I took out what I think was the idle solenoid, it was full of corrosion, cleaned, let dry and put back in carb. It runs like a whole new car! I also shortened my throttle return spring, it wasn't tight enough and would idle up when I took my foot off the throttle, or pushed in the clutch. I'd be happy to walk you through a rebuild, I think it will fix your issues...Oh, I also had a bad base gasket...

had the same problem with the return spring a few months back, just replaced it with a stronger one, that fixed it and the pedal feels much better now

i think i will pull the carb next week and start tearing in to it, see if i can see anything wrong