Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swamped my 84 gl now she wont start

so i got stuck in a fatty mud pit last night and she was buried up to the bottom of the doors in liquid mud idled the whole time winched her out still idleling went to climb out of the gully and she died fuel pump was shorted out and air filter was soaked so got pulled to the road jerry rigged the fuel pump and it about 5 miles and she started gasping and died tried to start her today and she turns over but wont start distributer had condensation so im letting that dry and the carb is airing out but i dont know what else to check since ive never swamped a rig before any ideas? its an ea81 1.8l

Spray the inside of your disty with WD-40, really the only reason to keep it around, the WD-40 that is. Helps it dry out much faster and removes condensation.

Swap in a new air filter asap, you don't want the crud and junk that got your original air filter wet to dry out and get sucked into the engine.

Test light or Multi-meter.

I would also humbly sugest that if you don't know how to run through a spark check and get some idea's as to what has gone wrong.... you shouldn't be playing with machinery in deep, watery, mud holes. :rolleyes:

That is somewhat akin to traveling in 3rd world countries without bottled water :lol:.

GD

Delayed problems after swamping (or powerwashing the engine...) are almost always water in electrical stuff... I forded a lake in my truck (the jeep trail went through it), and it did fine... only about top of tires deep. Then about a mile later, it started idling really rough and had no power.... distributor cap had condensation then, but it had looked fine after the ford. Ive also had vehicles that I've powerwashed the engine on, that seemed fine, but wouldn't start the next morning because of water in the distributor. I bet there's something in the ignition system that's still wet and shorting out even a day or two later. If it's getting fuel, that's usually the problem.

ALRIGHTY she started up today :) idles once she warms up but has major power loss and is totally gut less idk what is causing that its getting fuel and the guy who owned it before me did a ************ load of weird stuff to the intake hoses that go into the air filter so i think theres a major air leak somhwere but idk where to even start looking since hoses are missing thats my only idea as to the power loss do any of you experts have any insight ?

thanks for your help so far